  • Solvent Government Health Care Programs?

    I see all these wonderful lists on the internet comparing the costs and benefits of health care plans all over the world, by which is meant the degree to which standard medical care is subsidized by the central authority. In comparing the costs, I always see a per-person number, but what I wonder is this: Are any of these plans, or the governments that
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by thompsonisland on Wed, Apr 4 2012
  • Re: More arguments against anarchy

    Okay, but that still doesn't clear up for me what you mean by "absolute anarchy." The abolition of private property requires an outside enforcement agency because of the extension-of-person definition that Rothbard describes, I would think. So, anarcho-communism isn't anarchy; as you say, it's chaos. But people will employ private
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by thompsonisland on Thu, Sep 17 2009
  • Re: More arguments against anarchy

    I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Caley. I don't see anything mutually exclusive about "absolute anarchy" and division of labor and comparative advantage leading to natural hierarchies within the social order. The issue would be the statist monopoly of force. In the absence of that, I would consider it anarchy.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by thompsonisland on Wed, Sep 16 2009
  • Re: Rothbard on the Depression

    The first problem is that he misunderstands the Austrian emphasis on a priori ratiocination. Rothbard doesn't avoid examples of the consequences of malinvestment; he just doesn't use them to justify the logic of the argument. The reviewer sounds like a classic case of econ professor - move with the herd, get published with the herd, everything's
    Posted to History (Forum) by thompsonisland on Tue, Sep 15 2009
  • Re: More arguments against anarchy

    First of all, as Rothbard points out, anarchy doesn't mean everything is sunshine and roses all the time, it is just a better system from an a priori AND a practical standpoint than any that we have. The simplest justification for this argument is that almost everything "bad" that anyone says might happen under anarchy happens in our current
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by thompsonisland on Mon, Sep 14 2009
  • Rothbard on the Depression

    There is a review of Rothbard's book from Amazon quoted here: http://mises.org/store/Americas-Great-Depression-P63.aspx The person quoting the review thinks it is a great refutation of Rothbard; I'd love to take it apart and I know there are a lot of economists here who might have something to say.
    Posted to History (Forum) by thompsonisland on Fri, Sep 11 2009
  • Re: What if?

    The reference point question drives me nuts, too. Since the planet has been through more than one cooling and warming period, chances are that the annual mean temperatures are exactly the same as they were at some point in history. And why does it matter, anyhow? I think the global climate change discussion can only be discussed in terms of direct consequences
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by thompsonisland on Wed, Nov 19 2008
  • Re: Unarmed libertarians?

    Man, the baby's asleep, the realtor's coming over, I am supposed to get the house clean, and what am I doing?
    Posted to General (Forum) by thompsonisland on Mon, Nov 10 2008
  • Re: Unarmed libertarians?

    [quote user="Natalie"] [quote user="thompsonisland"]Intentionally taking a human life, regardless of the motivation, presents some profound moral quandaries for me that only resolve when I commit not to do it, under any circumstance.[/quote] I don't think people are inherently comfortable with violence and murder unless conditioned
    Posted to General (Forum) by thompsonisland on Mon, Nov 10 2008
  • Re: Unarmed libertarians?

    Awww. I highly recommend The Tao of Physics.
    Posted to General (Forum) by thompsonisland on Mon, Nov 10 2008
Page 1 of 4 (37 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | More Search Options