  • Re: How do communists claim they will solve the problem of scarcity?

    "If a good is not scarce, then it is free," Balderdash. If there's a tax on going down to the ocean and evaporating some water to derive the salt, then sea salt is never free for anyone who obeys that law, but neither is it scarce in any real sense, although it may be in markets which adhere to this tax. If I had the ability to "appropriate
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ravochol on Wed, Jun 30 2010
  • Re: Property is theft?

    A school of JURISPRUDENCE whose advocates believe that the only legitimate sources of law are those written rules, regulations, and principles that have been expressly enacted, adopted, or recognized by a governmental entity or political institution, including administrative, executive, legislative, and judicial bodies. Well, I wouldn't agree with
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ravochol on Wed, Jun 30 2010
  • Re: Property is theft?

    There is no inherent or necessary connection between the validity conditions of law and ethics or morality what is clearly wrong about this? all this says to me is that law is not necessarily ethical. Law is not inherently ethical; it can either be in line with ethics or opposed to ethics. Whether connected to ethics or unconnected to ethics, law still
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ravochol on Wed, Jun 30 2010
  • Re: Property is theft?

    There is a rational basis for libertarian property rights, whereas I've yet to see an IP advocate venture a response to this one (of several) necessary justifications of IP "rights". What? Legal positivism is a school of thought in philosophy of law and jurisprudence . The principal claims of modern legal positivism are that: There is
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ravochol on Wed, Jun 30 2010
  • Re: Property is theft?

    This is not an argument for IP. Nor is it an argument against it.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ravochol on Wed, Jun 30 2010
  • Re: How do communists claim they will solve the problem of scarcity?

    what is scarcity? As capitalism matures, fewer and fewer needed goods are scarce. Today; far more food gets thrown out or wasted in the U.S. than would be needed to feed every single hungry person. So hunger is not caused by any real scarcity of food in our society, like it might be in Africa - the only problem is misallocation. There's currently
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ravochol on Tue, Jun 29 2010
  • Re: Best and Worst - President of the United States

    Bill Hicks on JFK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Fl9ZVJ7B8
    Posted to General (Forum) by ravochol on Mon, Jun 28 2010
  • Re: Best and Worst - President of the United States

    How did Johnson kill Kennedy? Well, Kennedy became a dove when the Cuban Missile Crisis almost ended human civilization. He became convinced that the U.S. needed to work out a peace and disarmament deal with the Soviet Union, and was communicating fruitfully with Soviet premier Nikita Kruschev on this matter. Check out JFK's American University
    Posted to General (Forum) by ravochol on Mon, Jun 28 2010
  • Re: Need Your Advice - Police/Filing Complaint

    Is there a way to fight the tickets before going to court? I've heard that you can return the ticket with a request for clarification, (like, "do I have to respond to both of these tickets, since they're for the same violation?"- or anything you don't understand about the process or charges), and that legally then the ball is in
    Posted to General (Forum) by ravochol on Mon, Jun 28 2010
  • Re: Property is theft?

    How do you qualify the time period that ideas or patterns are protected as property, versus when they become "public"? Intellectual property, just like any property, is a legal construct. So, laws. IP is just a legal privilege granted to the originators of ideas, like ownership through homesteading is a legal privilege granted to certain kinds
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ravochol on Mon, Jun 28 2010
Page 14 of 19 (185 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options