  • Re: A Short Critique of Long's Theory of Constitutive Means

    [quote user="Adam Knott"] [quote user="leonidia"] "I believe Long's example is not a good one." [/quote] Could you please elaborate. Perhaps analyze Long's example, and show exactly and unambiguously why it isn't a good one? [/quote] Long says, "playing this particular chord here is an internal means to
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by leonidia on Wed, Aug 26 2009
  • Re: A Short Critique of Long's Theory of Constitutive Means

    [quote user="Adam Knott"] Well, that's Leonidia's opinion. My opinion is that you are proposing a substantial alteration to Long's theory. But if I'm wrong, and Long can simply clean up the example, then I assume he will. But it is also possible Long may agree with me that your proposed alteration would be substantial, and
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by leonidia on Wed, Aug 26 2009
  • Re: A Short Critique of Long's Theory of Constitutive Means

    [quote user="Adam Knott"]I would consider the revision you are proposing to Long's theory a substantial revision. Whether Long wants to make the type of revision you are suggesting to his theory, I don't know. Maybe you can contact him and suggest it.[/quote] It's not a substantial revision of his theory at all. It is a revision
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by leonidia on Wed, Aug 26 2009
  • Re: A Short Critique of Long's Theory of Constitutive Means

    [quote user="Adam Knott"]No. Long agrees that there are instrumental means. But as you can see from the example, Long doesn't apply his own test to the chord to see whether it is a constitutive means. And in the exchange between person A and person B, we see that person B played the Moonlight Sonata without the chord in question, which
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by leonidia on Wed, Aug 26 2009
  • Re: A Short Critique of Long's Theory of Constitutive Means

    Maybe Long was just a little sloppy in the example he gives, but I think he's right. What if Long were to give the following example instead; "Suppose my goal is to give an a ccurate rendition of the Moonlight Sonata. This chord is a constitutive means because it makes no sense to say I wish I could give an accurate rendition of the Moonlight
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by leonidia on Wed, Aug 26 2009
  • Re: Mathematical presentation of the Austrian business cycle theory

    It's generally not a good idea to represent human action mathematically, which is probably why it hasn't got anywhere.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by leonidia on Tue, Jul 28 2009
  • Re: Constitutive Means

    If you find out anything from Long or Plauche, I'd be very interested to know their thoughts on this matter. Perhaps you could post it here. Thanks.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by leonidia on Mon, Jul 27 2009
  • Re: Why no inflation in Japan?

    Just to be clear: When I say an increased demand to hold cash, I don't mean an increased demand for bank notes or coins (currency). I mean an increased reservation demand for money in general, and a corresponding unwillingness to spend. Thus Japanese individuals and corporations saw their demand deposits increase as a result of money printing, but
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by leonidia on Mon, Jul 27 2009
  • Re: Why no inflation in Japan?

    [quote user="Lohengram"]The reason was that there was such large outflows of Yen from Japan to other countries like Iceland; New Zealand and many others, that’s why you didn’t see general price rises as you might expect from all the monetary inflation from the Japanese banking system. [/quote] This is wrong. It's true there
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by leonidia on Mon, Jul 27 2009
  • Re: Why no inflation in Japan?

    [quote user="Jonathan M. F. Catalán"]The explenation is elsewhere: including that there is price inflation, because otherwise there would have been steep price deflation, and there is high demand for cash (and/or uncontrolled bank reserves are contracting at a similar [or faster] pace than controlled bank reserves are growing; [/quote
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by leonidia on Fri, Jul 24 2009
Page 1 of 25 (247 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options