  • Re: A Plea for the Land Question

    When I buy 900 out of 1000 square units of land on the earth, what then? The scarcity can not be alleviated. Land ownership is a zero-sum game. If you're not an owner, you're a tenant. When all land is homesteaded, maybe this will matter. This has not yet occurred, and I think it is unlikely to occur in my lifetime. I say mad dash because if
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by dude6935 on Mon, Mar 11 2013
  • Re: A Plea for the Land Question

    Except that this notion of property is not acknowledged by any arbiter of property disputes. It could be, if and when a dispute occurs. We won't know for sure until it happens. And if it were, it would result in a frantic dash to be the first "homesteader" of the "particles" of land, meaning a constant state of transition in
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by dude6935 on Fri, Mar 8 2013
  • Re: A Plea for the Land Question

    I used to be a georgist. Now I think that a narrow homesteading view solves these problems. In this way, any property that is owned and rented out is the product of labor, not of decree. I think of homesteading of matter on a particle by particle basis. Any matter you dominate is yours. If you build a house, you don't automatically have claim to
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by dude6935 on Wed, Mar 6 2013
  • Re: freakonomics on animal rationality

    Not making much progress here so I'll be brief. If an individual is able to communicate rationally (even if requiring the aid of a translator, etc.), then he or she is not incompetent. I think some animals are capable of rational communication. Around we go. But your taking a myopic and prejudicial view of the matter. A human death is not automatically
    Posted to General (Forum) by dude6935 on Wed, Mar 6 2013
  • Re: Where Does Libertarianism Go After Ron Paul?

    New Hampshire. That is the only win I see in the near future. Rand Paul? Maybe... but not as likely.
    Posted to General (Forum) by dude6935 on Wed, Mar 6 2013
  • Re: freakonomics on animal rationality

    Yes, and among the conditions of that minimum threshold is being human. You don't get it. You can't get an iPod to act like an iPhone not becuase the iPod "just doesn't have the right software"... it just doesn't have the required radio circuitry to communicate with the cell tower. Animals "maybe becoming lingual"
    Posted to General (Forum) by dude6935 on Wed, Mar 6 2013
  • Re: How are Contracts Enforced in a Free Market?

    can you please give some juicy examples? The most obvious is forceful repossession. If you break a contract and thereby commit theft, then I can justifiably repossess any collateral or performance bond you have agreed to. If you value being free from this forceful repossession, you will be more likely to honor the contract. The same is true in the other
    Posted to General (Forum) by dude6935 on Wed, Mar 6 2013
  • Re: How are Contracts Enforced in a Free Market?

    By market forces: specifically the effects of reputation and the need for ongoing business relationships, the presence of arbitration services, and the use of threats of retribution from individuals and their agents. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTYkdEU_B4o - The Machinery Of Freedom: Illustrated summary
    Posted to General (Forum) by dude6935 on Wed, Mar 6 2013
  • Re: freakonomics on animal rationality

    Human-ness is irrelevant. Any creature of sufficient capabilities would have rights. Any creature capable of argumentation has rights. This should not be in dispute. What is in dispute is the minimum threshold needed to secure some minimum rights. Can one kill an incompetent with legal immunity? Say a man becomes injured in such a way that his mental
    Posted to General (Forum) by dude6935 on Wed, Mar 6 2013
  • Re: Why not ban usury?

    That has nothing to do with simple vs compound interest. Like I just said, the issue is ultimately about unlimited liability. Weather or not defaulting on a loan is theft is neither here nor there. Even if it is theft, what are we to do, make the borrower a slave? Let the contract state these things. We have no business interfering in voluntary agreements
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by dude6935 on Wed, Mar 6 2013
Page 1 of 32 (316 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options