  • Re: I'm curious how many here have read the alternatives?

    I wasn't necessarily agreeing with your assertion. I was just pointing out how you refuse to even mention that Austrian theory is the most caricatureized of any. What is the point of accusing a wrong that you yourself are guilty of? Even if the other side is guilty as well, how in the world does that help your case? You seem to think that "two
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by EconomistInTraining on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • Re: I'm curious how many here have read the alternatives?

    Thanks for thee birthday wishes, indeed I do get the feeling we're arguing past each other. Or perhaps now I'm retreating with my tail between my legs in the face of two people agreeing with each other, both of whom are quite a bit more educated than one another (that's what I get for using a physics analogy out of ignorance I guess!) But
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by EconomistInTraining on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • Re: Holocaust documentary

    political correctness and self-censorship are today's soft totalitarianism. it amuses me to think that anyone believes a free society is possible where lies (well-intentioned or otherwise) flourish unchecked. in war, the victor writes the history. codoh and the institute for historical review are the go-to sites for those who are prepared to ask
    Posted to History (Forum) by EconomistInTraining on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • Re: (Personal) Is getting a PhD in Austrian Economics worth it?

    Top marks for Claudius for a smart but succint answer.
    Posted to General (Forum) by EconomistInTraining on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • Re: People Who Don't Vote

    Yes, mathematically, my vote alone is meaningless. But did you see how few votes were the difference in the Bush/Gore election? If 1m more people voted (not an unreasonable amount, 350m people in the country, only 30% vote [numbers based on rough guestimates]), it would have been a wildly different election. So you're basing your choices on statistical
    Posted to General (Forum) by EconomistInTraining on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • Re: People Who Don't Vote

    I can't believe not a single person has had the sense to quote George Carlin [quote]I don't vote. Two reasons. First of all it's meaningless; this country was bought and sold a long time ago. The shit they shovel around every 4 years *pfff* doesn't mean a fucking thing. Secondly, I believe if you vote, you have no right to complain.
    Posted to General (Forum) by EconomistInTraining on Fri, Jun 17 2011
  • Re: I'm curious how many here have read the alternatives?

    abskebabs, I knew if I was going to try to get that shit past you it wouldn't fly haha! I'm not going to argue about the natural sciencies with you, but I do think that when you say this: his has NOTHING to do with modelling, which simply refers to the practical application of physical laws in certain scenarios, reasoning as to what factors
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by EconomistInTraining on Fri, Jun 10 2011
  • Re: I'm curious how many here have read the alternatives?

    And the opposite is not true? lol, didn't anyone tell you that two wrongs don't make a right? Seriously, you guys are the ones outside of the mainstream discussion here, if you want to be part of that discussion its probably not a bad idea to take their positions seriously. Shrill pieces showing the ridiculouslness of ridiculous strawmen won't
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by EconomistInTraining on Tue, Jun 7 2011
  • Re: I'm curious how many here have read the alternatives?

    The mainstream, for quite some time now, has held the position that predictive power, rather than logical consistency, "is the hallmark of a good theory," and now that the Austrians are famous for their correct predictions (and the mainstream econometric models are infamous for their incorrect ones) it's no longer relevant. We have to
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by EconomistInTraining on Tue, Jun 7 2011
  • Re: I'm curious how many here have read the alternatives?

    I think Claudius had a point, even if he kinda overstated (and came off something of an arrogant dick). As somebody who disagrees with the Austrian position on almost everything let me chime in. Once you move past the basic classes in principles and the like I think you start to realise that Austrians often caricature the position of mainstream economists
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by EconomistInTraining on Mon, Jun 6 2011
Page 5 of 34 (336 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options