  • Re: Live Blogging

    I also took him up on that offer, so I'll be live blogging Out of Work by Vedder and Galloway as soon as the book arrives. It'll probably take some time for the book to arrive, so I'll post again when I start.
    Posted to General (Forum) by njal on Fri, Jan 30 2009
  • Re: Utility and Utilitarianism

    I would say that it is a problem for those who try to discuss utility and happiness. Like your second paragraph - it seems that you are using utility to mean happiness, but in your last paragraph you say that economists don't believe in comparing it between individuals, which only holds if you by utility mean something to describe preferences, as
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by njal on Tue, Nov 27 2007
  • Re: Utility and Utilitarianism

    The reductio ad absurdum against libertarianism would go something like this: Picture the movie Harmageddon in the end, when Bruce Willis will detonate the bomb, and saving the planet. Suppose now that a starship is nearby that will be blown up along with the asteroid if the bomb is detonated. Being a firm believer that one should never, under any circumstances
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by njal on Tue, Nov 27 2007
  • Re: Utility and Utilitarianism

    [quote user="Donny with an A"] A "util" is a unit of wellbeing. If you are a "hedonistic" utilitarian, then you believe that a person achieves higher levels of total utility when she experiences greater pleasure. If you're a "preference" utilitarian, then you believe that higher levels of utility correspond
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by njal on Tue, Nov 27 2007
  • Re: Utility and Utilitarianism

    [quote user="tgibson11"]Technically, "util" only refers to a unit of whatever an individual is attempting to maximize - that could be happiness, pleasure, monetary income, anything else, or any combination of things.[/quote] Really? I thought it only denominated that unit which doesn't exist, that unit which in theory should
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by njal on Mon, Nov 26 2007
  • Utility and Utilitarianism

    There is an argument against utilitarianism that seems to be common amongst austrians, which i believe is incorrect. Here's the argument, as it is put forward by Edward Stringham : "Many justifications for government use utilitarian arguments, which assume that subjective tility is cardinal and commensurable between different people. But the
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by njal on Sun, Nov 25 2007
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | More Search Options