  • Re: Is piracy connected to anarchy?

    The "anarchy" of Somalia I think accounts for the effectiveness of piracy in the region, but the religious tribalism and savagry of the place have more to do with the levels of violence in general and little to do with the lack of a strong central state. Weren't the attempts to establish a UN/US backed state the periods of the most intense
    Posted to General (Forum) by Bosco on Sun, Apr 12 2009
  • Re: How are doctors prevented from killing people in the free market?

    I would think that if people like being alive rather than dead, they will avoid doctors with a reputation for killing people.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Bosco on Sun, Sep 21 2008
  • Re: What outrageous action could the government take next?

    The new "lender of last resort" processing mass seizures establishing conservatorship of residential homes and other property, including land.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Bosco on Sun, Sep 21 2008
  • Predictions Anyone?

    Ok, so everyone is pointing out that this $700 billion bailout scheme is a catastrophe in the making. I completely agree. What are the measurable consequences going to be over the next few months? Few care to speculate on this because of so many variables, but what, if anything, can we be sure of at the very least? I will offer a few layman observations
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Bosco on Sun, Sep 21 2008
  • Re: Fed bailout: Short term good?

    I agree with the comments made here. Is there not, however, differing levels of culpability for the players involved? Granted, the state is the engine of this robbery and expropriation. Next up are the banks and other state protected financial institutions. But then there are the mortgage and loan holders. I think Murray Rothbard wrote that they are
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Bosco on Fri, Sep 19 2008
  • Fed bailout: Short term good?

    Speaking as an economic illiterate: Is the massive bailout/takeoever program announced by the Fed/Bush gang good in the *short term*? I understand most economists agree that long term, this is a disaster in the making similar to the great depression, but even short term will it allow: 1. People to keep their jobs? 2. People to keep their homes? The
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Bosco on Fri, Sep 19 2008
  • "Labour Movement" History?

    Does anyone know where one might find an Austrian/Libertarian analysis of the history of the American Labour movement? I am curious abou the claim that labour legislation evolved as a well intentioned counterforce against the "abuses of the free market". If is not the case, there must be an alternative motivation for the rise of labour unions
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Bosco on Wed, Jan 16 2008
  • Cartels vs Guilds

    Can anyone tell me the difference between the two. The best I can gather from sources such as Wiki and general usage has to do with the alleged "purpose" of the two. I think the justified suspicion here would be that both are inherently unstable and need to be propped up by state coercion in order to thrive. I get the impression that a guild
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Bosco on Sun, Dec 16 2007
  • Re: Are unions good for America?

    Wouldn't this be like saying that "grape collectives" in a free market could be an efficient way of determining whether shoppers are paying enough for grapes? The best I can figure is that unions would be largely replaced by "temp agencies" that actually do provide a useful service to both worker and the employers in a free society
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Bosco on Tue, Nov 27 2007
  • Re: Are unions good for America?

    From some of the essays I have read on this site, I'm surprised that the views on unions expressed here are so neutral with regard to a unions function and efficiency in a free market. Can anyone recommend an essay from an Austrian/Libertarian perspective that discusses the roots of the modern labour movement? I think that might shed some light
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Bosco on Mon, Nov 26 2007
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | More Search Options