  • Re: The Moral Basis for Intellectual Property

    [quote]One more schoolyard insult and you're gone.[/quote] Well, I'm out of here anyway. I would not however say that I am making schoolyard insults. I'm simply making accurate descriptions of reality. The intellectual level on this forum is so low that it truly deserves scorn. It's a disgrace to the cause of liberty that it be sullied
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Onar Åm on Sat, Oct 23 2010
  • Re: The Moral Basis for Intellectual Property

    [quote]There is a similar tort in purchasing a yacht with a 'fake' title deed to money in a vault that is not your money in the vault.[/quote] Why? The original owner still has his title. Nothing has been taken from him. He has not made a fake. He has copied the original. Now, the reason you immediately understand why this is fraud/theft is
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Onar Åm on Sat, Oct 23 2010
  • Re: The Moral Basis for Intellectual Property

    [quote]I guess you're a better Lockean than Locke since he didn't think his own homesteading/labor views supported a natural right to IP.[/quote] Yes, I am, thanks to Locke. Locke was a giant, and I'm standing on his shoulders, and thereby I can see further and apply his insights better and more consistently than he could. My view starts
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Onar Åm on Sat, Oct 23 2010
  • Re: The Moral Basis for Intellectual Property

    [quote]you are now tying a defence of IP to a defence of fiat money ? wowzers! [/quote] See, *this* is why I have no respect for you. It is impossible for me to state something in plain English without it being completely and utterly misunderstood (either by designed stupidity or on purpose or both). Where did I say a single word about the legitimacy
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Onar Åm on Sat, Oct 23 2010
  • Re: The Moral Basis for Intellectual Property

    [quote]I don't agree that stealing potatoes is theft. After all, the thief has a right to his livelihood and has mixed his labour with the potatoes by taking them. Besides, he was the one who came up with the idea of taking them from somebody else instead of growing them himself. If anyone tries to take them back, their stealing the product of his
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Onar Åm on Sat, Oct 23 2010
  • Re: The Moral Basis for Intellectual Property

    [quote]We agree; stealing potatoes is theft. The owner of the potatoes can show clear damages -- he no longer has his potatoes. What are the damages can the author show? He still has his novel. Not a single copy is missing.[/quote] Suppose that a person makes a perfectly good copy of paper money. He becomes rich by simply printing a lot of money! What
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Onar Åm on Sat, Oct 23 2010
  • Re: The Moral Basis for Intellectual Property

    JackCuyler wrote the following post at Sat, Oct 23 2010 1:29 PM: [quote]You are exactly right. So if I produce a huge amount of potatoes, thereby lowering the market value of the farmer's patatoes next to nothing, I haven't robbed him of his livlihood, right? He's still free to try and gain a profit, right?[/quote] No, that's ok, because
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Onar Åm on Sat, Oct 23 2010
  • Re: The Moral Basis for Intellectual Property

    [quote]Onar, this sort of common sense (armchair) reasoning, is typical from people who have exposure to philosophy and not economics, and so imagine everything they perceive as an objective truth, frequently without a meaningful epistemology or rigorous application of logic.[/quote] Well, what if I said to you that I've been an entrepreneur all
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Onar Åm on Sat, Oct 23 2010
  • Re: The Moral Basis for Intellectual Property

    [quote]But everything else sounds like speculation until this standard of common sense is clearly defined; until then I can't take your arguments seriously.[/quote] Pardon me for stating the obvious, but I was sort of taking for granted that the meaning of common sense is, well, yeah, pretty common sense. BUT if you insist, I will give a more intellectually
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Onar Åm on Sat, Oct 23 2010
  • Re: The Moral Basis for Intellectual Property

    Grayson Lilburne wrote the following post at Sat, Oct 23 2010 5:29 AM: [quote]A tip: not only is Sieben plenty intelligent, he's much more emotionally mature than you are, so you're not going to get a rise out of him, no matter how much you swagger.[/quote] My experience is (unfortunately) that high intelligence can be very destructive once
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Onar Åm on Sat, Oct 23 2010
Page 1 of 6 (58 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options