  • Re: Why drugs will be legalized very soon

    .Our war on drugs has resulted in 25,000 violent deaths in Mexico in the past 5 years. With this kind of success rate why wouldn't they want to spread their well thought policy to the Netherlands. Maybe they should bring back prohibition on alcohol then we can watch the liquor salesmen shoot it out in front of the speak easys just like the old days
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by Bill on Thu, Dec 23 2010
  • The Gold Standard

    A total of 165,000 tonnes of gold have been mined in human history, as of 2009. [ 1 ] This is roughly equivalent to 5.3 billion troy ounces or, in terms of volume, about 8,500 m³, or a cube 20.4 m on a side. The world consumption of new gold produced is about 50% in jewelry, 40% in investments, and 10% in industry Wikipedia The world population
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Bill on Thu, Dec 23 2010
  • Re: You Cannot Commit Treason Unless You're a Citizen (Julian Assange)

    Free speech and open societies do not include the right to steal secret information In an open society with free speech who decides what should be deemed a secret. If you commit a crime you want to keep it a secret. If the FBI discovers your secret you would be exposed publicly. If the FBI or the State Dept. commits crimes they are state secrets. You
    Posted to General (Forum) by Bill on Mon, Dec 20 2010
  • Re: The dollar is no worse then other currencies?

    But if deflation happens by itself, not by govt meddling, it is good for creditors, bad for debtors, and great for the average person, meaning everybody with money in their wallet. What bad could result from the money you own suddenly having increased purchasing power ? The average person produces or sells a good or service. Deflation can be self reinforcing
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Bill on Mon, Dec 20 2010
  • Re: Lew Rockwell Lied

    Prison guards are not drawn to their profession for the social status and prestige the vocation offers. These are compassionate men who dedicate their lives to the well being of their prisoners. Much like when a nurse wakes you up in the middle of the night to give you a shot. I'm sure when they get home they wake their wives up every five minutes
    Posted to General (Forum) by Bill on Sun, Dec 19 2010
  • Re: The dollar is no worse then other currencies?

    I think what you're trying to figure out is, what is the USD worth in comparison to other currencies? Whether or not there is such a thing as intrinsic value or nations doesn't have anything to do with that question. The price of the USD or any other currency that is traded on the open market is set by FX trading. Is the system flawed? Of course
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Bill on Sun, Dec 19 2010
  • Re: Anarchy in Detroit

    Would the local government allow you to do that? Regardless of whether they will provide services to the area...allowing you to do those things is another separate issue. They'd do all they could to stop you from challenging their monopoly on the use of force. They can't spare the manpower to protect theses citizens. But they would probably
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Bill on Sun, Dec 19 2010
  • Re: Anarchy in Detroit

    Do you mean an ancap dictator? Because otherwise, the question doesn't make much sense . I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying an Anarcho capitalist would have to change his ideals and become a dictator, the ultimate statist to address these problems? Suppose you live and own property in an area of Detroit that will be deprived of
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Bill on Sun, Dec 19 2010
  • Anarchy in Detroit

    The mayor of Detroit has a plan that would cut off all services to 20% of the city. It's sort of a lengthy article but worth the read. The author describes the problems in Detroit. He lists a few of the root causes but I think he fails to see the main cause for Detroit's decline over the last 30 years. His only solution seems to be bankruptcy
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Bill on Sun, Dec 19 2010
  • Re: Is Releasing Classified Documents Treason?

    If you work for a private company and you sign a non disclosure agreement and violate it you are subject to being sued in civil court. If I own a Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise and a disgruntled employee tells the competition about my 11 herbs and spices. I can call a cop he'll tell me it's a civil matter . If I don't like it I can sue
    Posted to General (Forum) by Bill on Wed, Dec 15 2010
Page 5 of 14 (134 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options