  • Re: A Boogeyman What-If Scenario...

    This is only a problem if you think property rights extend to the edge of the atmosphere and to the core of the earth. Rothbard covered this somewhere, but I can't remember where.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Matticus Rex on Sat, May 28 2011
  • Re: A Libertarian Society

    The real problem here is that you're working on the basis of faulty economics. In a free market, the Marxist bugaboo of wage exploitation is a fantasy. If people are free to leave their jobs and there are no government barriers to entrepreneurial activity, how can workers be exploited? If they can get better pay somewhere else, they will move. If
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Matticus Rex on Sat, May 28 2011
  • Re: Investment in new technologies

    If a firm can't make money off of it, then it shouldn't be the one inventing it - that would be bad business. If there are truly positive benefits, then there is profit in it for someone. In the case of green energy, the profits are in finding a more efficient and sustainable energy source, which, as fossil fuels become more scarce, will become
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Matticus Rex on Sat, May 28 2011
  • Re: What is the least harmful form of taxation?

    What's this about "fairness?" You asked which was the least harmful, but then stipulated an arbitrary criterion that is otherwise irrelevant. The thing that is easiest on the little guy is certainly not going to be the most just, and probably not the least harmful either. I vote for VAT or land use. VAT puts the costs of government on
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Matticus Rex on Sat, May 28 2011
  • Re: Why wouldn't the Mises Institute started an M.A. in economics?

    Nonprofit =/= charity.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Matticus Rex on Fri, May 20 2011
  • Re: Technicality: Mises Audio Closing

    Organizations cannot act as such, but by affiliating oneself with an organization, there is implicit in your affiliation the support for the actions that its leader may take. So, if the leader in speaking for the organization says that "The Ludwig von Mises Institute hopes you have enjoyed this," he can do so legitimately. Praxeology does
    Posted to General (Forum) by Matticus Rex on Fri, Apr 29 2011
  • Re: Prosecuting politicians for war crimes

    [quote user="Caley McKibbin"] The idea of prosecuting bureaucrats is a wrong application of law. If I offer you money to shoot someone and you do it, you are guilty of that, not me. I'm only involved in harmless conspiracy. [/quote] False. You're both equally guilty of murder. Two people can be guilty for one murder, and while you
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Matticus Rex on Tue, Apr 26 2011
  • Re: Ron Paul on a Roll

    I think his concentration on the war issue was brilliant since it's an audience of women. If there is one issue that unites women, it is opposition to war.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Matticus Rex on Mon, Apr 25 2011
  • Re: Do You "Acknowledge Israel's Right To Exist"?

    As far back as you can go while meeting a burden of proof. Walter Block has a lecture on reparations that deals heavily with this issue in one of the Mises seminars that is on the website.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Matticus Rex on Sun, Apr 17 2011
  • Re: You Guys Should All Read Freakonomics.

    Unfortunately, Levitt has engaged in quite a bit of sloppy economics, and both authors consistantly put forth the idea (mostly on their blog) that the government is capable of solving problems. Not quite LvMI store material, though it's worth a read (mostly for entertainment).
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Matticus Rex on Tue, Apr 12 2011
Page 3 of 10 (93 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options