  • Re: The Chinese Government's cunning ploy?

    Geopolitical leverage. The more dollar reserves China has, the more power it has to use as a negotiating tool if they ever decide to do anything drastic (attack Taiwan if it falls too far out of line, for example). Of course, if the Federal Reserve keeps printing money China's leverage will weaken considerably. And don't think that China's
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by WisR on Wed, May 4 2011
  • Re: Being taxed by USG, while living overseas (WTF)

    How could you avoid the tax? Get rid of citizenship or something? There was a new law passed several years ago that requires you to pay taxes for 10 years after you renounce US citizenship.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by WisR on Fri, Apr 1 2011
  • Re: Being taxed by USG, while living overseas (WTF)

    [quote user="Alternatives Considered"] In a theory sense, it's pretty ridiculous. In practice, at least when I did it, it wasn't very bad. This was back in the mid 90s, Ilived and worked in Australia. In USD, I made less than 74K, which meant I didn't actually owe any taxes in the US. I simply filed a tax return, said I made n
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by WisR on Fri, Apr 1 2011
  • Re: Government: Where is my receipt?

    There are things like this published, how much of your tax dollars go to what gov't programs and services. It doesn't change the fact that you can't choose not to pay and safely get away with it, you are forced to pay whether you want to or not. So no, it wouldn't help people think with their wallet.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by WisR on Thu, Dec 2 2010
  • Re: Who would invade us if we abolished our military?

    Wolverines!
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by WisR on Thu, Dec 2 2010
  • Re: Tax on soda to reduce obesity???

    As much as I hate corn subsidies and sugar tarrifs, HFCS isn't actually any worse for you than a comparable ammount of sugar. Fructose is fructose and sucrose is sucrose, it doesn't matter what plant it came from. Are you sure? These are rats, but 1 serving of sugar versus 1/2 serving of HFCS, everything else being equal, resulted in the HFCS
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by WisR on Thu, Oct 28 2010
  • Re: Depression of 1894

    Do you mean the "Long Depression" of 1873-1879 (so-called by Wikipedia?) Considering that real capita incomes increased by 50% from the 1870s to 1890s ( while the average workweek also went down somewhat - see Chapter 6 from DiLorenzo's How Capitalism Saved America ), I would say that the idea of a long depression is just a misunderstanding
    Posted to History (Forum) by WisR on Mon, Sep 20 2010
  • Re: inflation and rising prices: which causes which?

    Walk him through it. Suppose the shop owner successfully raises prices, and the person spends more money buying the same or a little less of the good. Then what happens? He doesn't have as much money to spend on other goods, which means if other shop owners want to sell to him, they have to lower prices. All other things being equal, when the price
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by WisR on Fri, Sep 10 2010
  • Re: ABCT problems during the boom phase

    (2) is really describing two different phenomena. The second part will happen, and it's called "forced savings," but the first part may or may not happen. Again, the first part of (2) is more psychological and isn't a necessary condition of ABC's. From all of the books I've read describing actual bubbles, I think 2 is caused
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by WisR on Thu, Aug 26 2010
  • Re: Behavioral Economics.

    I didn't make that statement strong enough - many economists and a lot of the opinion makers of society are pushing for behavioral economics to become the standard explanation for bubbles - most people believe it is already (if you ask people what causes bubbles, they'll give you some answer along the lines of "people going crazy"
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by WisR on Wed, Aug 25 2010
Page 1 of 13 (128 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options