  • Re: '29 Crash caused by income distribution

    Let me get this straight: 1. Labor productivity rose. 2. Capitalists reaped most of the rewards from rising productivity. 3. The capitalists therefore had a greater share of demand, which they did not expect. 4. An internal calculation error destroyed the economy. This is problematic. Labor productivity mainly rises from an increase in capital, meaning
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jared on Thu, Jan 17 2008
  • Re: Alabama man throws his kids off a bridge

    The question is not whether it would be wrong. The question is what incentive a justice company would have in prosecuting the man if it's for-profit.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Jared on Mon, Jan 14 2008
  • Re: Why I Object to Austrian Economics

    I agree with your idea of stability - the stable theft of American savings. Also, your faith in the CPI is absurd. For example, the CPI includes rent but not housing costs. The inflation in housing over the last few years did not touch CPI! But now during the recession rent demand will rise , it will not rise as much as the housing bubble, but the BLS
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jared on Wed, Jan 9 2008
  • Re: Why I Object to Austrian Economics

    All of your bullet points would be fine except for two problems: 1) They suffer from a presuppositional bias: to disagree with the Austrians on their research direction away from mainstream economics as a critique by itself, for example, is meaningles because of the presuppositional gap between Austrian economics and mainstream economics! That critique
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jared on Wed, Jan 9 2008
  • Re: A challenge to minarchist

    [quote]Do you not see that it is pure exploitation if one group of people can change the law that other people have to follow, then claim they have the right to punish them when they are "breaking the law"?[/quote] I always see Marxists talk about exploitation, but I never bothered to look it up because they are rather blatantly wrong. Ironically
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Jared on Tue, Jan 8 2008
  • Re: A challenge to minarchist

    It is impossible for the anarchists to not receive benefits from the goods provided by me. Because my government brings about the rule of law, society is incentivized away from breaking the law and toward a peaceful social order. All citizens receive these benefits, whether they agree or not. In order to ensure a segment of society is not paying for
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Jared on Tue, Jan 8 2008
  • Re: A challenge to minarchist

    If the law says to pay taxes, and somebody breaks the law, they are not innocent of breaking the law. Would I have the right? No, as president I would have the obligation to enforce law. What are the libertarian ideals, exactly, which contradict presidents performing their paid functions? As president, should I just ignore what my employers have called
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Jared on Tue, Jan 8 2008
  • Re: Criticism of the gold standard

    I think that transaction demand held up by legal tender laws and trust is the only thing that maintains the value of currency. If legal tender laws were revoked and trust fell, transaction demand would undeniably move from fiat money to a new form of currency. For anything other than fiat money to maintain the volume of trade which goes on in the world
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jared on Mon, Jan 7 2008
  • Re: The untenability of Christian Anarchism

    How does that follow? You are a troll.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Jared on Mon, Jan 7 2008
  • Re: The untenability of Christian Anarchism

    Where did I mention anything about supporting government put in place by God? That doesn't follow. Of course sin is part of God's plan, which he works out through all creation, but that doesn't have to do with whether rulers are just or moral from our perspective. Somebody else mentioned something. I tend to agree. You really are a troll
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Jared on Mon, Jan 7 2008
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next > | More Search Options