  • Re: Bitcoin DO NOT WANT!?

    [quote user="Anenome"]Industrial value isn't guaranteed either.[/quote] What I meant with „only industrial value is guaranteed” while “monetary is not” is just that the function of medium of exchange can be theoretically performed by a lot of other things. Theoretically by different commodities, fiat money and even
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by skylien on Fri, Jul 6 2012
  • Re: Bitcoin DO NOT WANT!?

    [quote user="Anenome"]Sure, but that really only stops it in a region. It can take root anywhere, any-time. And will likely prove impossible, in time, to block bitcoin transactions and also allow citizens to have computers and internet access. I dunno how hard it would be to incorporate something like the tor network into bitcoin... The whole
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by skylien on Fri, Jul 6 2012
  • Re: Bitcoin DO NOT WANT!?

    Just for the fun of it: If Gold was priced only at 10% of today's price this would make it approx. 160 USD an ounce. An average toilet has a weight I guess of about at least 15kg made of ceramic. Ceramic has a density that is around half of steel which makes it about 5 to 6 times less dense than Gold. This amounts to a Gold toilet of about 82.5kg
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by skylien on Fri, Jun 29 2012
  • Re: Bitcoin DO NOT WANT!?

    [quote user="Seraiah"]Ya, this advantage is way overblown. The biggest benefit of using silver and gold as mediums of exchange is that they can't be inflated. Bitcoins are even less inflatable. But still! You can't deny that if gold is suddenly repudiated, you could make a toilet out of it. It's been scientifically proven. You
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by skylien on Fri, Jun 29 2012
  • Re: Bitcoin DO NOT WANT!?

    [quote user="Torsten"] So Skylien, Which of the (imo opinion valid) problems of bitcoin do not apply to other currencies?[/quote] Don't strawman me. Did I say that others don't have problems? I only tried to refute that BTC is invincible as Anenome seems to believe... I would chose Gold and Silver, because I don't trust governments
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by skylien on Thu, Jun 28 2012
  • Re: Bitcoin DO NOT WANT!?

    [quote user="Anenome"]Again, loss of confidence doesn't just happen . It is precipitated by some event. The certificate issuers can inflate, as can the fiat runners. Commodity backing simply gives you a way to get some of your money back when the people controlling the currency screw up so badly that the floor drops out.[/quote] What can
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by skylien on Thu, Jun 28 2012
  • Re: Bitcoin DO NOT WANT!?

    [quote user="Torsten"]Anything that is accepted as a general means of payment is MONEY. Whether it has the governments stamp of approval. And whether it has the libertarian/anarcho-capitalist/gold-fetishist stamp of approval.[/quote] Nobody disputes this. The question is about "generally accepted". In my point of view you only can
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by skylien on Tue, Jun 26 2012
  • Re: Bitcoin DO NOT WANT!?

    [quote user="Clayton"]There are already lots of existing threads on Bitcoin. My view .[/quote] I completely agree with Clayton's view on this. My comment.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by skylien on Wed, Jun 20 2012
  • Re: So what do Mises fellows do as hobbies?

    I could tell all the cool hobbies I have, but that is in fact uncool, so I will tell you the nerdiest hobby I have: Apart from economics, it's watching Starcraft 1on1s commentated by HuskyStarcraft on YouTube.
    Posted to General (Forum) by skylien on Tue, Jun 5 2012
  • Re: Tips for being in a band

    [quote user="dazed111"]but i thought that even the guy who plays the cowbell gets laid like crazy. this needs to be expanded upon[/quote] Watch this. Just awesome: I need more cowbell!
    Posted to General (Forum) by skylien on Wed, May 23 2012
Page 5 of 29 (284 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options