  • Re: How to address this objection

    I contrast the government with the free market. One is constraining and the other unconstrained. One is zero sum and the other positive sum. Postivie sum meaning cooperative and Zero sum meaning competitive. While there is some competition in the free market, it works only through cooperation. Government is strictly competititve. So, the existence of
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Lyle on Sun, May 22 2011
  • Re: How to address this objection

    I have indeed read the book. I have read all three in the series: The Search for Cosmic Justice, A Conflict of Visions and The Vision of the Annointed. However, I believe Thomas Sowell's argument relies too heavily on the presumption that the logic of the Constrained and Unconstrained Visions as being valid and/or sound. I understand that proponents
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Lyle on Sun, May 22 2011
  • Re: How to address this objection

    I am one who believes in the Unconstrained Vision of man. I am also one who believes man is capable of a Natural Order. However, I believe that to achieve a Natural Order, man necessarily must achieve the Unconstrained Vision. It is because man sees himself as constrained by his nature that he necessarily seeks the power of government. The existence
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Lyle on Sun, May 22 2011
  • Re: How to address this objection

    John James: In contrast to Thomas Sowell's "A Conflict of Visions," I recall George Washington once saying, to paraphrase, that men would not require government if men were angels. It is interesting that the Constrained Vision wants less government and the Unconstrained Vision wants more government. It would seem that those of the Constrained
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Lyle on Sun, May 22 2011
  • Re: Why there's no libertarian nation on Earth yet

    What would be the ideological justification the masters would sell to the people for attacking people considered to be of no threat? Unless humanity drops back into the dregs of a bygone era and endorses slavery again, I don't see what justification the masters could use to move their people to support an attack on libertarian societies.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Lyle on Sat, May 21 2011
  • Re: Gun Control, Property Rights & Acceptable Risk

    What an insurance company will not insure, you can't own under the Terms and Conditions of Private Property Ownership of Land I sell you in the community in which I live.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Lyle on Sat, May 21 2011
  • On Democracy and Education

    ON DEMOCRACY Democracy is an attempt to achieve what can only be achieved in a Natural Order: An advanced civilization that recognizes and respects diversity. The fundamental error of dictatorship is that such government stamps out diversity in a sea of uniformity. The thought is that giving all the people equal suffrage in democracy would somehow respect
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Lyle on Wed, May 18 2011
  • Re: Hobbesian argument for government

    Government is nothing more than a monopolization of those private institutions that existed to maintain the social order. Law and government are not synonymous. The Common Law preceded government and was private law. It has been appropriated by government and to a great extent changed as to render it ineffective. Law is necessary but one questions whether
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Lyle on Sun, May 1 2011
  • Re: Responding to A Dollar Is Worth More To The Poor Than Rich

    I would say that the dollar is more valuable to the rich than to the poor due to the fact that the poor are so ready to be rid of it through present consumption than finding enough value in the dollar to save or invest it for future consumption. Hence, the poor are poor because they don't value the dollar nearly as much as the rich.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Lyle on Sat, Apr 23 2011
  • Re: Government, Therefore Government Exists

    Humans are inherently good. That is why propaganda is needed to convince them to go along with coercion of any form, government included.
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by Lyle on Mon, Apr 4 2011
Page 2 of 17 (166 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options