  • Re: Considering the Switch to an Econ Major

    [quote user="Stranger"]Diminishing returns. We don't need another MS in economics, all that prepares you for is doing statistics for a government bureau. We don't need to be publishing in the field - the Mises institute has a bigger audience than all the academic journals together.[/quote] Do you disagree that we should try and win
    Posted to Help and Support (Forum) by nje5019 on Sat, Nov 8 2008
  • Re: Kenneth Rogoff of Harvard: Fed can cut rates without printing

    [quote user="Rubén"]Austrian economics emphasizes the role of savings in order to encourage economic growth.[/quote] 'Encourage' is the wrong word to use here. Austrian Economics merely points out that increased savings now will lead to economic growth. However, Austrian Economics also teaches us that when the fed manipulates
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by nje5019 on Sat, Nov 8 2008
  • Re: Flea markets are more free-market than the shopping mall

    [quote user="Rubén"]In your case, it is true. But there are people without your qualifications who will not invest that well, thus providing an argument for government Social Security.[/quote] Right, so why not let the people who don't want social security opt out, and the people that do want it stay in? Then both groups get what
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by nje5019 on Sat, Nov 8 2008
  • Re: Considering the Switch to an Econ Major

    Agreed. If you want to teach Econ at a college level or be accepted as an economist in the academic world you're going to need a PhD. As for college experiences, I'm an undergrad econ major now and it's a mixed bag. For the most part I don't really try to start confrontations with teachers. In my Money and Banking class last year, my
    Posted to Help and Support (Forum) by nje5019 on Sat, Nov 8 2008
  • Re: Isn't Economic Crisis a Crisis of Capitalism?

    [quote user="waywardwayfarer"]A free market in money makes.... [/quote] He said 'gold standard', not 'free market in money.'
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by nje5019 on Fri, Nov 7 2008
  • Re: How to avoid oligopolies/monopolies

    [quote user="coda"] The free market is dependent upon the idea of free entry. Yet, is it not true that monopolies and oligopolies can arise in a free market and thus restrict free entry? Sorry, I'm not the most learned on the ideas of Austrian economics :P. [/quote] How do you define free entry and what can these oligopolies do to to restrict
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by nje5019 on Fri, Nov 7 2008
  • Re: Isn't Economic Crisis a Crisis of Capitalism?

    [quote user="Norak"]I would also like to know how a gold standard would stop fractional reserve banking. If you had gold and stored, say, 100 ounces at a bank, the bank can still take 90 ounces of that deposit and lend it out to others, thereby inflating the money supply.[/quote] Fair point, but this is just a semantic misunderstanding. Around
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by nje5019 on Fri, Nov 7 2008
  • Re: Flea markets are more free-market than the shopping mall

    [quote user="Byzantine"] That's just great. So up there in Canada if somebody works out and gets fit and better looking, you could maybe have a government bureaucrat slash his or her face or chop off a limb. Maybe they could pay a special "fitness" tax to compensate for the fact that everybody else prefers to be a lazy slob.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by nje5019 on Fri, Nov 7 2008
  • Re: Legality of private currency in US

    [quote user="Rubén"]Would you still be able to carry out electronic transactions with zillions of different issuers of private currencies?[/quote] Why wouldn't you? If anything, credit/debit cards and the like would make this even easier than it was before. And i think 'zillions of different issuers' is a huge exaggeration
    Posted to General (Forum) by nje5019 on Thu, Nov 6 2008
  • Re: Fraud under Anarchism

    [quote user="xSFx"]That's why the guys who sell snake oil like to pretend like no one is offering what they're offering - their product is either "unique" or "complementary".[/quote] Education / consumer advocacy groups / etc. Just because there's no FDA doesn't mean people won't get their food/medicine
    Posted to General (Forum) by nje5019 on Thu, Nov 6 2008
Page 5 of 15 (148 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options