  • Hayek and Praxeology Revisited

    This post discusses Hayek's relationship to praxeology, his argument against it, and the problem with his argument. ***** Two of the most important factors that inhibited the study of praxeology in the last sixty years were Hayek's explicit argument against praxeology (see below) and Rothbard's theoretical paradigm in which praxeology is
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Sun, Sep 16 2012
  • The relationship between Praxeology and Thymology: A Restatement

    Since Steve Horwitz's recent article has spurred discussion of Mises's conceptions of economics and praxeology, I thought it would be a good time to revisit the relationship between Praxeology and Thymology, the two disciplines in the Misesian conception of the social sciences. We can conceive 'praxeology proper' as "the complete
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Fri, Sep 14 2012
  • Mises and Bernanke

    XXXI. CURRENCY AND CREDIT MANIPULATION: The Objectives of Currency Devaluation XXXI. CURRENCY AND CREDIT MANIPULATION 4. The Objectives of Currency Devaluation The flexible standard is an instrument for the engineering of inflation. The only reason for its acceptance was to make reiterated inflationary moves technically as simple as possible for the
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Fri, Sep 14 2012
  • George A. Selgin's critique of praxeology

    George Selgin has posted a critique of praxeology at Cato Unbound: http://www.cato-unbound.org/2012/09/10/george-a-selgin/how-austrian-is-it/ Here I would like to bring to light an important omission in George's narrative, an omission that is common to many contemporary discussions about Mises and praxeology. As George understands things, Mises
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Thu, Sep 13 2012
  • Re: A Critique of Mises's Praxeology (Part 1?)

    Fool on the Hill wrote: The second set of quotes highlight what I think is Mises mistake--that action is about the improving of one period of time over the previous period of time (intertemporal). This is the mistake of seeing action as profit. I see these statements as contradicting the first set: Man becomes conscious of time when he plans to convert
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Tue, Aug 14 2012
  • Re: A Critique of Mises's Praxeology (Part 1?)

    Fool on the Hill wrote: Personally, I can't see myself using a modified Austrian framework in the future. I'd more likely use the language of other economic paradigms. But if you want to reformulate Austrian economics in light of my criticisms, I would be interested to see what you come up with. I understand that there are some Austrians who
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Tue, Aug 14 2012
  • Re: A Critique of Mises's Praxeology (Part 1?)

    Fool on the Hill: My main goal is to demonstrate how alternate conceptions or formulations are possible for some of the important conceptions of praxeology which you are critiquing, such alternate conceptions being consistent with, but not identical to, Mises's conceptions. Examples that we've discussed here include the concepts of scarcity
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Sun, Aug 12 2012
  • Re: A Critique of Mises's Praxeology (Part 1?)

    Fool on the Hill: "...wouldn't this mean that all stages of production and all types of goods directly remove uneasiness? After all, it is only that I desire something and not why I desire it that makes it remove uneasiness (i.e. its part of the form of action). So if I planted a bunch of crops, wouldn't that remove uneasiness just the
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Thu, Aug 9 2012
  • Re: A Critique of Mises's Praxeology (Part 1?)

    Fool on the Hill: If I may begin with a few general comments: A. I know of no perfect social theory, and I'm confident that if you were to put forth a non-Austrian social theory, whether your own, or that of someone else, myself and others would be able to locate valid problem areas in that theory. If the social theories we consider aren't perfect
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Thu, Aug 9 2012
  • Re: A Critique of Mises's Praxeology (Part 1?)

    Fool on the Hill: "Maybe I misunderstand you, but I don't think I agree. If we can return to the example of the piano, we notice that there is never a time when the pianist does not have enough notes." Yes, a misunderstanding. I'm referring, for example, to the time before the actor plays a particular note. Before he plays a particular
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Tue, Aug 7 2012
Page 10 of 63 (630 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options