  • Re: The Critique of Praxeology from the Point of View of Natural Science

    Jon: I'm in general agreement with you. But I believe that not only larger society, but many who are sympathetic to discursive economics/praxeology, share a belief that physical science is of a higher ontological status than discursive or philosophical-type disciplines. Re-phrasing your passage above: "The discursive mental disciplines are
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Mon, Nov 19 2012
  • Re: Hayek and Praxeology Revisited

    He claimed, I believe, that credit expansion of a certain kind (phenomenon X) must necessarily lead to a slump (phenomenon Y)---a market phenomenon defined in terms of the interactions of a number of individuals. And thus Hayek's argument that a priori analysis only applies to the logic of individual action and not to market theory applies to Mises's
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Mon, Nov 19 2012
  • Re: The Critique of Praxeology from the Point of View of Natural Science

    Hi Jon "Natural scientists, or rather philosophers who claim to be representing natural science, tend to have the approach that if they cannot explain something, then it doesn't exist. This may work for abstractions like God, which have no impact on epistemic pursuits (though some foundationalists may argue otherwise), but it becomes particularly
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Mon, Nov 19 2012
  • Re: Hayek and Praxeology Revisited

    The goal is to demonstrate a logically necessary connection between phenomena X and Y. If X happens, then Y must happen. Hayek held (as did Mises) that the necessary connection between A and B derived from the relationship of phenomena within the subjectivity of the individual. If person 1 observes (observing is an action) object O moving toward one
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Mon, Nov 19 2012
  • Re: The Critique of Praxeology from the Point of View of Natural Science

    Then substitute for "particles in fields of force": "physical phenomena as described by the currently reigning physical theory."
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Mon, Nov 19 2012
  • Re: Hayek and Praxeology Revisited

    From Hayek's point of view, I think you asked and answered your own question: "Why should it be, that because a prioristic knowledge applies only to an actor and his end, we cannot a prioristically analyze systems of interpersonal exchange?" If a priori knowledge only applies to X , why can't we a prioristically analyze Y ?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Mon, Nov 19 2012
  • The Critique of Praxeology from the Point of View of Natural Science

    Mises claims that praxeology is a deductive science like mathematics or geometry, and that the validity of its conclusions ( Y ) derive from the consistency of its reasoning from its original premises ( X ). As Robbins explains: "Economic laws describe inevitable implications. If the data they postulate [ X ] are given, then the consequences they
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Sun, Nov 18 2012
  • Re: Hayek and Praxeology Revisited

    Jargon: "Are you saying that if Hayek disagrees with Misesian a priorism and also perceives the market conceptually as an object, then his criticism is self-destructing?" Yes. Hayek argued that social entities are not objective in nature, but subjective in nature. (this is the first 6 pages of "The Facts of the Social Sciences")
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Wed, Nov 14 2012
  • Re: Hayek and Praxeology Revisited

    Some additional explanation... The method of praxeology is methodological individualism. This means that the strength of praxeological insights and propositions derives from fixed relationships in the mind of the perceiving actor. As both Mises and Menger held, and as Hayek also understood, in exact science the relationship between A and B is a necessary
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Wed, Nov 14 2012
  • Re: Hayek and Praxeology Revisited

    Wheylous: "You say that we could treat shopping as the object of action." Maybe you could provide the relevant quote as a point of reference? Adam
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Adam Knott on Tue, Nov 13 2012
Page 7 of 63 (630 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options