  • Re: Justice in an anarchist society

    From Hoppe's article [p.6]: [quote]In terms of consumer evaluations, however high its absolute level might be, the value of the public goods is relatively lower than that of the competing private goods because if one had left the choice to the consumers (and had not forced one alternative upon them), they evidently would have preferred spending
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by A-R on Thu, Apr 17 2008
  • Re: Walmart, China, Monopoly and the Nature of Man....Please Help

    [quote user="dreamingoffreedominma"]Without government you have monopoly, like Wal-Mart (I tried to discuss eminent domain, how it is virtually impossible for monopolies to form absent government and competition but fell short of the mark)[/quote] Monopolies are, by definition, government granted privilege over a segment of the market. Large
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by A-R on Thu, Mar 20 2008
  • Re: The Great Depression - what my school teaches

    [quote user="Spideynw"] Well, what do people do with savings? They would either use the services of a bank or they would invest it. People just do not simply sit on cash. [/quote] Actually, many people do simply sit on cash. All money that exists in physical form must be held by someone. But, this is a net good for society. Money not spent
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by A-R on Sun, Mar 16 2008
  • Re: Idea: a countereconomic "Craigslist"

    For the sensorship problem, I've long felt that most people's over-reliance on large search engines like Yahoo! and Google was very dangerous to the freedom of the internet. It's as though their opinion (no doubt they are swayed by government) makes or breaks any site. Are there any decentralized search engines for regular internet sites
    Posted to General (Forum) by A-R on Fri, Mar 7 2008
  • Re: Will the fed hike rates in 09?

    [quote user="dvictr"]My point is that when gold "turns" there is no forseeable bottom.. $500, $400, $200??... alot of people are going to be holding alot of overpriced gold and losing alot of "money", real purchasing power. It is nieve to think that a consolidation is realistic at $900... and even crazier to think that
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by A-R on Thu, Mar 6 2008
  • Re: Will the fed hike rates in 09?

    Just a nubie to Austrian Econ. myself, but welcome to the forum, alexc! I've been wondering the same types of questions about where this inflation is headed. There are two sides of the coin to the question of so called price "inflation": nominal supply and actual demand for money. Times have changed alot since the 1970's, and on both
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by A-R on Wed, Mar 5 2008
  • Re: Drunk Driving

    [quote user="CaptainMurphy"] Do people here think drunk driving should be a crime? If you accept the non-aggression principle axiomatically, wouldn't arresting a drunk driver be using force against someone who isn't aggressing against anyone? [/quote] It seems to me that simply exposing others to an demonstrable degree of risk without
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by A-R on Wed, Mar 5 2008
  • Hyperinflation, when can we expect it?

    Examples abound of fiat currencies becoming worthless in a matter of months, weeks or days, prices spriraling out of control from one hour to the next near the end as everyone rushes to get rid of what they can while they can. It's easy to see how any government dedicated to recklessly monetizing it's deficit would eventually cross the tipping
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by A-R on Sun, Mar 2 2008
  • Re: Will inflating dollars drive any more-stable currency out of competition?

    I think you've answered your own question here but let's clarify a little: 1. When vendors are allowed to refuse or discount bad money, then the bad money will be driven out of the market as people increasingly refuse to accept the bad money of questionable value. In this case, good drives out bad , just like with any other product on the free
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by A-R on Sun, Mar 2 2008
  • Re: 9/11 Conspiracy

    [quote user="edward_1313"] Don't even attempt to persuade them anymore; nothing we say will matter regardless of how obvious, factually sound, or logically sound it may be. They've got it permanently ingrained in their head that it was an inside job and nothing can be done to change that. It's like trying to argue with someone
    Posted to History (Forum) by A-R on Sat, Mar 1 2008
Page 3 of 5 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | More Search Options