  • Re: How many people did Stalin kill?

    Contrary what people have claimed here, Stalin did kill personally a lot of people in the 1890s and 1900s while as a terrorist bandit he was collecting money for the arising bolshevik party and making bank robberies and exploding bombs. Whether he shot his second wife Nadezha Alliluyeva in 1932 is debatable but academic consensus seems to be against
    Posted to History (Forum) by Aragon on Wed, May 5 2010
  • Re: Sociology, Critical Theorists of the Frankfurt school, neo marxists

    The Frankfurt School is very interesting case in my opinion, and its influence in the post World War II culture has been noticed by many of its critics such as paleolibertarian Paul Gottfried ("Strange death of Marxism"), paleoconservatives Ralph de Toledano ("Cry Havoc") and Pat Buchanan ("Death of the West") and finally
    Posted to General (Forum) by Aragon on Mon, Apr 26 2010
  • Re: Chicago School, the FED, and the Recession.

    Both Friedman and Rothbard agree that money supply did increase in the 1920's, prior to the stock market collapse. But many Chicagoans thinks that Fed tried even then to restrain the money supply inflation. Richard Timberlake, for example, writes that "during the 1920s... the whole tenor of Fed policymakers was to hold down on any expansion
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Aragon on Fri, Apr 9 2010
  • Re: Chicago School, the FED, and the Recession.

    [quote user="Ahmed"] What is the Chicago School's view of the Federal Reserve? [/quote] I am familiar only with views of Milton Friedman and I am not sure how much scholars such as George Stigler, Allan Meltzer or Richard Timberlake agree on these issues with him. The Chicago school is sceptical about the ability of politically influenced
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Aragon on Wed, Apr 7 2010
  • Re: Do you recommend Roger Garrisons book "Time and Money: The Macroeconomics of Capital Structure"

    I have very limited academic background and Time and Money was the first book about the Austrian Business Cycle that I read. In my opinion it is very easy (jättelätt) to follow especially because it is written mainly as a textbook for students. It is far easier and simplier than works written about the same subject by Jesus Huerta de Soto
    Posted to General (Forum) by Aragon on Sun, Mar 21 2010
  • Re: William F. Buckley Jr.

    I have very ambivalent feelings about William F. Buckley Jr. First of all, he can be a very lucid and brilliant writer and has written some objective and important books, such as McCarthy and His Enemies. And one must remember that he and his magazine, National Review , critisised many federally enforced expriments of social engineering such as Civil
    Posted to General (Forum) by Aragon on Fri, Mar 19 2010
  • Re: Communist/Marxist Critique on Capitalism and Austrian Economics

    About anti-Austrian literature by marxists, there is of course the famous defense of the labour theory of value by Rudolf Hilferding. I have a recollection that marxist Paul Sweezy wrote anti-Böhmbawerkian preface into Böhm-Bawerk's famous Karl Marx and the closing of his system. http://www.marxists.org/archive/hilferding/1904/criticism
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Aragon on Wed, Mar 17 2010
  • Re: Do lower income taxes=more revenue?

    In my opinion, it is very unlikely that reductions in tax rates cause increase in revenue in the short run. Thomas E. Woods Jr. has claimed that something like this did indeed happen in 1920s, when top income rates were reducec dramatically and simultaneously government could reduce public debt by one third. But let's take a look at the figures
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Aragon on Sun, Mar 14 2010
  • Re: What are your views of the Hoover Institute?

    Marko... I noticed in your blog (I presume it is yours) a book about German-Bolshevik - alliance written by Silvin and Maidi Eiletz. Are you aware whether it has been translated into English because I couldn't find any mention about it through Google? http://crappytown.blogspot.com/2010/01/germans-and-bolsheviks.html As a sidenote it could be mentioned
    Posted to General (Forum) by Aragon on Sat, Mar 6 2010
  • Re: What are your views of the Hoover Institute?

    If you take a look at the list of Senior Fellows and Research Fellows of the Hoover Institution they seem to be mostly a little bit of Neocon-oriented (although hardcore Neocons are located elsewhere) with a couple of good exceptions, such as Milton Friedman, Gary Becker, Thomas Sowell, Tibor Machan and Robert Conquest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki
    Posted to General (Forum) by Aragon on Sat, Mar 6 2010
Page 1 of 6 (51 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options