  • Re: Anyone else think the U.S. is doomed for economic ruin?

    Where did you get the statistic that government employees receive half of the income of the United States? If it's true, then it seems things are even worse than before.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Cipher on Fri, Mar 21 2008
  • Re: Any other Brits here?

    [quote user="darcgun"]Our politics is based upon tradition and gradual evolution, while the Founding Fathers devised the Constitution to chain down the inherent force linked with government.[/quote] What makes you so sure that that is the reason why they made the Constitution, and not to benefit industrialists, creditors, public debt holders
    Posted to General (Forum) by Cipher on Tue, Mar 18 2008
  • Re: Government and Movies

    Other posters have listed what caused the decline of the quality of movies. However, I think it should be noted that now video games are under the gun too, as the writer's guild is attempting to make video game writers unionize, such as through allowing only union writers to win awards at the Writer's Guild Awards. Ceteris paribus, if this works
    Posted to General (Forum) by Cipher on Mon, Mar 17 2008
  • Re: Deontological vs Teleological Ethics

    I am a teleologist, in that I believe that man's proximate objective norm is the perfection of his own nature. I would disagree vociferously with the idea that my philosophy is utilitarian, for I believe that utility cannot be measured and often boils down to a crude measure of animalistic pleasure/pain (i.e. democracy is good because the idea that
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Cipher on Sun, Mar 16 2008
  • Re: History of Government?

    [quote user="CaptainMurphy"] Why would the statist tendencies be crushed if they have always prevailed in the past? What has changed? Option B seems to have won out 100% of the time. Does this not highlight an overlooked failure of PDAs? [/quote] What has changed is that there is a greater stock of present goods for consumption, and as such
    Posted to History (Forum) by Cipher on Sat, Mar 8 2008
  • Re: Economics Flash Game Ideas

    I had an idea for a flash game. Basically, you take the role of a politician, and have to court the interests of various special interest groups. The point is that you have to mercilessly whore yourself out to these interest groups or suffer the consequences. Any deviation from endless coercion into what one may consider morally acceptable behavior
    Posted to General (Forum) by Cipher on Tue, Mar 4 2008
  • Re: History of Government?

    My interpretation is that, just as cannibalism is practiced in materially poor yet more-or-less anarchical societies, so too do customs of nascent statism pop up. This is because, just as people do not realize due to their present-orientation that eating a person has far fewer long-term benefits than cooperation, so too do they not realize the long
    Posted to History (Forum) by Cipher on Sun, Mar 2 2008
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | More Search Options