  • Re: Personal Rights versus Property Rights

    [quote user="Jonas"]Society is required to advance beyond individuals living in caves....advancement of the species.[/quote] A man said to the universe: "Sir I exist!" "However," replied the universe, "The fact has not created in me A sense of obligation." -- Stephen Crane The only sense in which living in a house
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Solomon on Tue, Apr 29 2008
  • Re: My View of Contemporary Politics

    Supporting liberty and individualism is not a quality of (American) rightists qua rightists. That some do is rather a result of 1) the fact that the US has historically been a relatively libertarian country, and 2) traditionalism of some degree being in general an attribute of rightism. Ultimately, the only reason republican talk show hosts (and as
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Solomon on Tue, Apr 29 2008
  • Re: Personal Rights versus Property Rights

    I get where you're coming from (in fact all libertarians do, though they [pretend to] forget sometimes). [quote user="Jonas"]There has to be something...I don't know...MORE to a society than just "oh well, the child died".[/quote] And there probably should be (personally, I'm partial to the phrase " love thy neighbor
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Solomon on Mon, Apr 28 2008
  • Re: Personal Rights versus Property Rights

    [quote user="gplauche"]I imagine most libertarians would see as immoral this sort of discrimination over superficial things like race, sex, etc. based on prejudice. But not not everything that is immoral is a rights-violation.[/quote] I'm inclined to agree with this to some extent (to be honest, the apparent amoralism in my post was really
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Solomon on Fri, Apr 25 2008
  • Re: Polygamist Church

    [quote user="mr_anonymous"]The state is now conducting coercive DNA test on everybody who was in the sect.[/quote] This is what makes this whole situation so abysmal. It is one thing to conduct an investigation of child abuse occuring in a single home (even if it is based on tenuous evidence), but hundreds of people being considered guilty
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Solomon on Fri, Apr 25 2008
  • Re: Personal Rights versus Property Rights

    [quote user="Jonas"] The only problem I see is that [discrimination] could become common practice...prevalent in the culture.[/quote] I simply fail to see the problem in your objections. Even overlooking the fact that entrepreneurs profit from not discriminating, it is not immoral in any sense. [quote user="Jonas"]It is fine for
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Solomon on Fri, Apr 25 2008
  • Re: Personal Rights versus Property Rights

    [quote user="Fred Furash"]True public property also can't exist...it's impossible, or at least I don't see it happening. Somebody has to own it.[/quote] You're basically right. While it is possible for a commodity to be sufficiently abundant to be used by large communities without conflict (e.g. atmosphere), it seems improper
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Solomon on Thu, Apr 24 2008
  • Re: The stupid American stereotype

    The important fact to realize is that all stereotypes, including that of the ignorant American, are rooted in reality somewhere or other, but are usually exagerated in quality and generality (or am I stereotyping stereotypes? ). At any rate Leno uses those clips on his show simply because it's funny and doubtlessly a lot more people answer correctly
    Posted to General (Forum) by Solomon on Mon, Apr 7 2008
  • Re: Stopping dictators

    [quote user="classiclib"]was not military force the only possible option?[/quote] It rather pisses me off when I hear this question. Only possible option to do or prevent what may I ask?! To keep the Germans at bay - like the neocons like to think? Germany did declare war on the US but it's naive to think Hitler could have made it across
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Solomon on Fri, Apr 4 2008
  • Re: War in a Libertarian Society

    The primary problem with invading an aggressive nation is that civillians are invariably harmed. Such situations are a bit unrealistic or at least unlikey since, from an economic standpoint, the aggressing state would have more to lose than to gain from a war with an economically and therefore militarily strong libertarian society. A war of conquest
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Solomon on Fri, Apr 4 2008
Page 28 of 30 (295 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next > | More Search Options