  • Re: Logic should not be trusted.

    [quote user="MrSchnapps"] Are you seriously serious right nao bro? [/quote] Who are you talking to?
    Posted to General (Forum) by shackleford on Thu, Jun 28 2012
  • Re: Seriously, I need help with this proof

    For the second one, your conditional statement is true. Make a truth table. It only makes sense when A is False and ~A is True. Otherwise, you have contradictions and a case when the conditional is False.
    Posted to General (Forum) by shackleford on Thu, Jun 28 2012
  • Re: Obamacare

    Sorry, guys. I forgot include this important detail in my thought experiment. What if we also assume there are no employer-based health insurance plans? Everyone contracts directly with insurance providers. What I'm basically doing is taking out all other government mandates on employers, health care insurance companies, medical care providers,
    Posted to General (Forum) by shackleford on Thu, Jun 28 2012
  • Re: Obamacare

    [quote user="xahrx"] " If there is competition among health care insurance companies for business, then won't that lead to lower prices for health care insurance?" Prices will be higher than they otherwise would be is the point. Yes, there may still be some competitive forces at work driving prices relatively downward from where
    Posted to General (Forum) by shackleford on Thu, Jun 28 2012
  • Re: Logic should not be trusted.

    Occam's Razor is not a law of logic, theorem, or anything like that.
    Posted to General (Forum) by shackleford on Thu, Jun 28 2012
  • Re: Obamacare

    At the risk of looking stupid, I'm not quite sure why a government mandate for everyone to purchase health care insurance will raise prices. The SD curve is not an argument. If there is competition among health care insurance companies for business, then won't that lead to lower prices for health care insurance? The business still has to compete
    Posted to General (Forum) by shackleford on Thu, Jun 28 2012
  • Re: Letting inflation rise

    [quote user="John James"] What were they? I must have missed them. [/quote] I thought it was clear - the production of new goods or services, the expansion of new good or services into new markets, and increased productivity. I then asked if increased consumption leading to the creation of a new job should be considered growth. What's
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by shackleford on Thu, Jun 28 2012
  • Re: Letting inflation rise

    Yes and no. When I'm using the terms consumer and producer, I'm referring to such participants in the free market economy. If you grow or produce everything you want or need and do not participate in the economy, then you are not really relevant insofar as your activity has no measurable impact on someone else's activities in the economy
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by shackleford on Wed, Jun 27 2012
  • Re: Letting inflation rise

    It's in the "Three questions from a clueless high school student" thread. He answers the question from the guy suggesting we give money to government workers to consume to create growth. I actually read Applied Economics first and have yet to read Economic Facts and Fallacies . I watched several clips of Free to Choose. I liked it. Sowell
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by shackleford on Wed, Jun 27 2012
  • Re: Letting inflation rise

    John James, Great answer by Friedman! He's probably my favorite economist. I'm currently reading Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell. I find it much easier to read books if I have a hardcopy. I'm in front of the computer enough already. Haha. What should I buy of Friedman? Something that is ubiquitous with these people is government being the
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by shackleford on Wed, Jun 27 2012
Page 40 of 45 (450 items) « First ... < Previous 38 39 40 41 42 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options