  • Re: A problem with the free-market?

    Jesse, You are confusing price with value. Dollar price serves as the common denominator for goods in a market place which makes accountancy possible. This is essential, of course, for the existence of a modern economy. However, price does not measure value. As the Austrians have taught us, value cannot be measured. It is subjective and is revealed
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jorge A. Medina on Wed, Apr 21 2010
  • Re: Please suggest good libertarian movies with a historic theme.

    [quote user="Prashanth Perumal"]My college's history department will be hosting a movie festival in March and I am looking out for libertarian movies with historic themes that could be suggested for filming. Please help.[/quote] Here is a longer list including descriptions from Mises.org put together by Stephen W. Carson. http://mises
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jorge A. Medina on Fri, Jan 29 2010
  • Re: What then?

    [quote user="Spideynw"]You are just playing word games now. You cannot confiscate someone's productivity if they agreed to it. And the government claims we agreed to it.[/quote] Spare me the baseless accusations. I told you I didn't disagree with you on this so stop fixating on the government. I was talking about the relationship between
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jorge A. Medina on Mon, Jan 25 2010
  • Re: What then?

    [quote user="Spideynw"]They don't claim ownership.[/quote] I never said they did. I said, " implies an ownership claim." If I confiscate someone's productivity, that confiscation regresses back to the property associated with the productivity being confiscated. Confiscation of productivity is a de facto claim on property
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jorge A. Medina on Sun, Jan 24 2010
  • Re: What then?

    [quote user="Jorge A. Medina"]I would like to explore this a little further[/quote] I just realized I should have started a new thread. Sorry OP.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jorge A. Medina on Sun, Jan 24 2010
  • Re: What then?

    [quote user="Spideynw"]But it is not the same type of slavery where people explicitly claimed to own other human beings.[/quote] I don't particularly disagree with anything you have said but I would like to explore this a little further. Payroll taxes represent an instance of the government confiscating the productivity of employers. To
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jorge A. Medina on Sun, Jan 24 2010
  • Re: What then?

    [quote user="Spideynw"]Just like slavery will never return[/quote] Not so fast, Spideynw. Think about how (at least in the USA) payroll taxes are collected. The government requires that all businesses collect taxes from their employees and deliver that money to the state. They have no choice in the matter nor are they compensated in any way
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Jorge A. Medina on Sun, Jan 24 2010
  • Re: I'm a newly recruited supporter to Austrian views who needs some help getting started.

    [quote user="PEZ"]If someone pollutes the air for the rest of us.[/quote] If you feel like doing some reading, here is some material by Murray Rothbard. http://mises.org/daily/2120#11
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jorge A. Medina on Sun, Jan 24 2010
  • Re: I'm a newly recruited supporter to Austrian views who needs some help getting started.

    [quote user="PEZ"]A few days ago they started to cast recorded lectures of Murray Rothbard himself even.[/quote] Yes, I've been listening to those too!
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jorge A. Medina on Sun, Jan 24 2010
  • Re: Libertarian Salaries

    [quote user="Jeremiah Dyke"]Their motivation to continue to produce what consumers do not prefer must stem from causes of ethical/moral/truth.[/quote] Aside from requiring the words "as much" in between "prefer" and "must," I can't seem to find anything wrong with your explanation. Salud.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Jorge A. Medina on Sun, Jan 24 2010
Page 4 of 9 (86 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options