  • Re: Homesteading and Land Monopoly

    I agree with that, you have a good point. It wouldn't be ethical the other way either, to force someone to give up the land they already own. So I guess I have finally distilled this down to what I was thinking, that building a fence does not count as mixing your labor :) I can't fence in north america and be like "mine at last!" Even
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Sat, Sep 20 2008
  • Re: Homesteading and Land Monopoly

    I was thinking more about people that are just turning an age where they would like to strike out on their own. If there is no unowned land available and there is none for purchase, then you would agree they are not completely free right? They are in effect a permanent renter until someone decides to sell if ever, in other words a slave. I'm not
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Fri, Sep 19 2008
  • Re: Homesteading and Land Monopoly

    Well the equal shares was just my first stab at it. I think my main thrust is that you can't encroach on each mans minimum space required for life and sanity. The ethical basis is just the nature of property. Your property is what you have created. The earth wasn't made by humans so you can't really lay claim to more land than you need.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Thu, Sep 18 2008
  • Homesteading and Land Monopoly

    So I have a problem with natural resource monopolies and reconciling that with a mans right to live. I just take land for example usually. I would say that its consistent to believe that a man has a right to the 3 dimensional space he inhabits and some amount extra. Its this extra amount that bugs me. My current answer is that if there was 1 human on
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Thu, Sep 18 2008
  • Re: Would a majority ever allow anarchy?

    I think what you are hinting at is the nature of man. Either a) the majority of mankind is good or b) the majority of mankind is bad. If a) is true then no form of social orginzation be it democracy, monarchy, anarchy, etc can save us. It is a scary thought to think of being brought down with an evil majority. I don't think a) is true though. Even
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Thu, Sep 18 2008
  • Re: How do you respond to this?

    Yea people will say/think amazing things to avoid reality :) They mostly want to pretend that a politician or policeman is somehow different from them and therefore don't have the same moral rules. Usually their idiocy reduces to: the group > individual or might makes right.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Tue, Jun 17 2008
  • Re: How do you respond to this?

    He is observing that avoidability has an effect on morality. A tax on goods is more moral than an income tax. The first is more avoidable than the other, therefore more desirable. However the most desirable is still no tax at all. What legitimate right does the government have to regulate someones property. None I can think of, they are just a violent
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Mon, Jun 16 2008
  • Re: The lie of "no taxation without representation"

    Yea they should always add in the subtext, oh btw "representation" means someone else represents you and you just trust them blindly, k thnx have a nice day.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Mon, Jun 2 2008
  • Re: Joining a Compulsory Union

    I would not think lesser of yourself, when someone puts a gun in your face and you hand over your wallet. Don't sacrifice yourself for an ideal, unless the reward is right man.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Mon, Jun 2 2008
  • Re: Indolent Anarchists!

    I agree that the belief in a thing doesnt make it real, but does have an effect on the world. Just look at religion.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Mon, Jun 2 2008
Page 49 of 53 (524 items) « First ... < Previous 47 48 49 50 51 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options