  • Re: Sick child argument?

    Morality doesnt belong to a person, its objective. Your actions are moral or immoral, but have no say in what is moral. Also accidentally hitting someone with your car and incapacitating them puts no moral obligation on you whatsoever. If the road you are currently on is basically a lawless jungle, then driver beware. I would never drive on a road like
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Thu, May 29 2008
  • Re: Private Roads and Eminent Domain

    The problem with that is that it is just a smaller scale version of what we have already. Trading a public monopoly for a private one. Even worse is that the highest bidder would be the fat parasites that have grown as a result of a government existing. Only new roads can be a monopoly. Existing roads are already homesteaded by the current users of
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Wed, May 28 2008
  • Re: The social contract.

    Well I was never under the assumption that the social contract would subjugate me to some airy concept like "society." I think it would subjugate me to individual politicians. I think my question was answered though in that the idea that I would be subjugated is reliant on politicians having a legitimate claim to the territory of the united
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Wed, May 28 2008
  • Re: Sick child argument?

    Morality is a set of rules or guidelines defining how one should act. Determining what is moral is a long and exploratory process. Morality is not defined as that which furthers man, or that which is innate in mans nature. A parasitical class, such as a politician, can be defined as perfectly moral if we define morality as that which good for mans survival
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Wed, May 28 2008
  • Re: Sick child argument?

    Only an inconsistent moral calculus could find such an action moral. Stealing is immoral, and letting your child die of some disease if you can prevent it is immoral. Which is the lesser of two evils is a personal preference and not related to morality. Choosing the preferred less immoral action does not turn it into a moral action. The reason this
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Wed, May 28 2008
  • Re: Private Roads and Eminent Domain

    The real owners of the road are the surrounding proeprtyu owners who have been paying property tax all these years to support it. I see no reason to turn the road over to a single owner.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Wed, May 28 2008
  • Re: Sick child argument?

    Robbery is never moral, but im that situation all of us would probably commit an immoral act. Morality isn't determined by the ends you wish to achieve. That is the same grave fallacy that supports taxation I believe.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Wed, May 28 2008
  • Re: The social contract.

    I think you made good and true points torsten thanks for clarifying my attempts. I found it important to invalidate the actual claim because I think that if it can be said that you are the legitimate owner of a land, that you can decide who lives there. So basically I was trying to invalidate their property rights over my current residence. I don't
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Tue, May 27 2008
  • Re: The psychology of happiness

    #1 is an inconsistent moral theory. It simultaneously affirms and denies property rights. The rich persons money is stolen aka they don't have an absolute right to keep it and given to somone who is labeled poor who is assumed to absolutely have a right to keep it. As stated marginal utility does not justify this inconsistency so there is no reason
    Posted to General (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Tue, May 27 2008
  • Re: The social contract.

    Thank you for the video replies BP. I hate arguing about this topic actually because they use the word "contact." That contradiction in terms kinda makes my brain turn to mush.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by twistedbydsign99 on Tue, May 27 2008
Page 51 of 53 (524 items) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > | More Search Options