  • Re: Can we really allow "freedom" of religion?

    Ok, I see there is some merit in viewing some religions as criminal groups. The trouble is who decides? Who decides which religions are permissible and which are not? There is not any moral or objective way to crown anybody the Religion Czar. That "decision" about who is criminal and who is not is always made by whichever group or faction
    Posted to General (Forum) by ama gi on Sat, Apr 3 2010
  • Adam Smith vs. the gold standard?

    I'm finished reading The Wealth of Nations (finally!), but Adam Smith's ambivalence towards gold money leaves me scratching my head. I though for sure that he would be more supportive of the gold standard than he actually was. For example, this quote: "The domestic business of every country, it has been shown in the second book of this
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ama gi on Wed, Mar 17 2010
  • Re: Personal feelings on Minarchism

    Since I'm in the mood for a "quasi-rant" of my own.... I prefer not to put labels on myself, by calling myself anarcho-capitalist, minarchist, anarchist, or anything else, just because I don't like to put myself in some kind of box. I think associating yourself with any particular "school of thought" is just bland social
    Posted to General (Forum) by ama gi on Wed, Mar 17 2010
  • Re: Sigh... I am heartless, cruel, self-centered etc because I disagree with government funding of medical research

    [quote user="McDuffie"] 1) Is it true that the research that led to the polio vaccine was totally unfunded by government? I heard that somewhere, and I haven't seen anything that refutes it. 2a) Should I have handled this differently? Other than not engaging these people at all, is there something I could have said that would have made
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ama gi on Fri, Mar 5 2010
  • Re: Voting from an Anarchist Perspective

    [quote user="Spontaneous Disorder"] My position is if you vote against a bridge to be constructed and the majority vote for the bridge, you have no right to complain, you implicitly agreed the majority is right, The Anarchists position is that government should have no such powers anyway, so such things as voting are illegitimate. [/quote
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Tue, Mar 2 2010
  • Re: Sovereignty... for one species only.

    [quote user="Merlin"] [quote user="Helmuth Hubener"] Animals are property. That is my understanding. Being property, the owners may do whatever they wish with them. [/quote] Well said. If animals want rights, let them take up arms and take them from us. [/quote] Ahhh, that sweet might-makes-right fallacy. It's so convenient when
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Tue, Mar 2 2010
  • minarchy = anarchy?

    I know that the title is likely to be controversial, but it shouldn't be. Minarchy and anarchy are, in effect, exactly the same. Suppose that, through a series of Constitutional amendments, the size of the federal government was reduced to below pre-Civil War levels. For example: Amendment 28 Article I The Seventeenth Amendment is hereby repealed;
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Tue, Mar 2 2010
  • Re: Google's Security Flaw is Because of Government Interference

    Use PGP. Problem solved.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by ama gi on Sun, Jan 24 2010
  • Re: Universal Jurisdiction

    [quote user="Juan"]Except that criminals will find it to their advantage to cooperate, that is, to avoid jailing each other. [/quote] Yeah, that seems to be the problem. Back to the drawing board.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Mon, Jan 18 2010
  • Universal Jurisdiction

    I'm sure that many of us would agree that most politicians are criminals and deserve to be arrested, convicted, and incarcerated. Unfortunately, politicians control the courts and prisons would don't seem very eager to incarcerate themselves. Universal jurisdiction to the rescue. Universal jurisdiction is the newfangled legal doctrine that says
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Mon, Jan 18 2010
Page 4 of 66 (659 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options