  • Re: America and Liberty

    [quote user="majevska"] You also fail to mention that conscription (slavery) was used to fight the so-called Civil War. Using slavery to fight slavery eh? [/quote] If I recall correctly, it was Stonewall Jackson who used threat of force to prevent soldiers from leaving when their enlistment expired. The Union did not use such tactics; the
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Tue, Apr 22 2008
  • Re: America and Liberty

    [quote user="Anonymous Coward"] You really think the Iraq war was to liberate Iraqis? [/quote] You can claim that "Lincoln did not fight the Civil War to free the slaves; he had ulterior motives." Okay; since I cannot read the mind of somebody who lived 150 years ago, I concede that may be true. However, freeing the slaves was a
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Mon, Apr 21 2008
  • Re: America and Liberty

    [quote user="JonBostwick"] The fact that slaves have a right to defend themselves does not give them the right to invade third party territory and kill any non-slave owner who objects their trespassing. [/quote] If by "any non-slave owner who objects their tresspassing" you mean the Confederate army, you are quite mistaken. If the
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Mon, Apr 21 2008
  • Re: America and Liberty

    [quote user="Fred Furash"] Does anybody find it ironic that the United States was founded by slave-owners who wanted to be free? Nobody notices the hypocrisy? To argue that America was founded on the principles of liberty is to ignore that liberty was only ever given to some people, and not others. I recommend you watch George Carlin. Besides
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Mon, Apr 21 2008
  • Re: America and Liberty

    [quote user="Brainpolice"] You completely lost me when you revealed your neoconservative premises with respect to foreign policy. Actually you lost me even before that when you started to defend constitutionalism and the union. [/quote] I am not neoconservative: I do not support domestic serveillance without judicial oversight on a case-by
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Mon, Apr 21 2008
  • America and Liberty

    Some libertarians view anarcho-capitalism as diametrically opposed to America and its heritage, while, in fact, nothing is further from the truth. The self-ownership of the individual, self-reliance, technical innovation, freedom of thought, barely any taxes, the importance of non-governmental voluntary associations in free society, private charity
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Sun, Apr 20 2008
  • Re: Let's learn to speak Smug: "Community"

    I think I've been beginning to understand Smug. These are a few Orwellian words that are used rather frequently: <i>Sharing.</i> This means, in English, a combination of haggling, bribery, and extortion taking place behind closed doors at political capitals. "Sharing," in most contexts, is extolled as a virtue, except when
    Posted to General (Forum) by ama gi on Mon, Apr 7 2008
  • Re: The killing of outlaws

    [quote user="Len Budney"] [quote]The penalty for murder should be the same as it is for civil wrongful death: the full value of the life of the victim measured in money and, again as in civil wrongful death, the victim's conscious pain and suffering.[/quote] I favor the death penalty for murder. It seems to me that taking a life, one forfeits
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Fri, Apr 4 2008
  • Re: The killing of outlaws

    [quote user="Stranger"] Justice belongs to the victim. It is not the business of anyone else what kind of punishment to enact. [/quote] If you think the victim should have authority over what punishment is selected, that is fine, but it is society's business to determine the defendent's guilt or innocence. Every person, if accused
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ama gi on Fri, Apr 4 2008
Page 66 of 66 (659 items) « First ... < Previous 62 63 64 65 66 | More Search Options