  • Taxes and capital investment

    According to this article , paying taxes in Greece is practically voluntary. Shouldn't this have led to more capital investment and general improvement of the society? Also, is there any empirical evidence that lowering taxes leads to increased investment and capital accumulation (anywhere in the world, any time)? I know it seems like a naive question
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by FlyingAxe on Thu, Feb 28 2013
  • Problem of Political Authority book

    Have any of you read this book (see intro here )? Is it any good? In general, I’d be interested to hear/read someone like David Gordon discuss Michael Huemer’s philosophy, especially since he has recently discussed Jan Narveston who is opposed to moral intuitionism. (Huemer’s page is currently down, but some of his writing is on it
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by FlyingAxe on Thu, Feb 28 2013
  • Re: Why I don't believe in the non-aggression principle.

    Right, well, the assumption is that being the first one to make a claim makes something your property (and that a particular form of a claim prevails over other forms). But what makes that true? Also (this is another, independent point), maybe I should say: I made the claim first. But my friend really needs that land; he needs it to survive. I need
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by FlyingAxe on Tue, Feb 26 2013
  • Re: Why I don't believe in the non-aggression principle.

    In other words, I claim that the area between two rivers and the forest is my valley . You claim that it is your valley . Each of us has somewhat different concepts of what property is and how property acquisition happens based on our individual morality and legal theories. What would constitute aggression in this case? How does the NAP help us? How
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by FlyingAxe on Tue, Feb 26 2013
  • Re: Why I don't believe in the non-aggression principle.

    [quote] I respect your home and you respect my home. If we both follow this then we can leave harmoniously together. [/quote] What is my home?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by FlyingAxe on Tue, Feb 26 2013
  • Re: Why I don't believe in the non-aggression principle.

    [quote] It's the same with law. You can have "a priori" law, but it is an entirely different function than actual law. Law is one of many dispute resolution mechanism that people use, and it is specifically relevant to disputes where violence is a very real alternative. So if a central planner comes along and says, this is the "a
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by FlyingAxe on Tue, Feb 26 2013
  • Re: Why I don't believe in the non-aggression principle.

    Isn't Golden Rule a kind of apriorism? Why is it better than other rules? Also, how are we to use it? The rapist should imagine what it's like to be raped. But why shouldn't the victim imagine what it's like to abstain from fulfilling a strong sexual desire? Should we have some sort of scale for rating "imaginations"? That
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by FlyingAxe on Tue, Feb 26 2013
  • Re: Why I don't believe in the non-aggression principle.

    I think most of the objections I have are summed up in the papers by Calahan & Murphy and by Roderick Long (I can provide links if you want). I have discussed AE here (you may need to register to see the thread). Although there were some good answers to some of my objections, I was not convinced that all my objections were addressed. One problem
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by FlyingAxe on Mon, Feb 25 2013
  • Re: Why I don't believe in the non-aggression principle.

    [quote user="gotlucky"] One cannot know if violence was aggression without a victim who complains. [/quote] Well, you can assume that the victim would complain if given a chance (for instance, if you see someone hit on the head from behind and then robbed, you might safely assume that aggression took place; of course, there is always a chance
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by FlyingAxe on Mon, Feb 25 2013
  • Re: Why I don't believe in the non-aggression principle.

    My problem with NAP is that it begs the question. It's only "aggression" if it violates property rights. I am yet to see any cohesive or logically straightforward derivation of property rights a priori in the libertarian tradition. This is exclusively my personal opinion. I have read Hoppe and Rothbard, whose derivation is cohesive (more
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by FlyingAxe on Mon, Feb 25 2013
Page 4 of 46 (459 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options