  • Re: Rights of rescuers

    [quote user="Anonymous Coward"] That's a strawman argument based off the false premise that without monetary compensation people wouldn't lift a finger to save a kitten from a burning tree or whatever emotionally charged argument you wish to propose to show that libertarians are cold-hearted bastards and the only way to ensure benevolence
    Posted to General (Forum) by Susana on Thu, May 22 2008
  • Re: Rights of rescuers

    [quote user="histhasthai"] You'll have to provide some argument why saving a life is different in principle from any other service, such as mowing a lawn. And repeating "but it's saving a LIFE", wouldn't be useful. [/quote] The principle at stake here is that an obligation should not be imposed on anyone without prior
    Posted to General (Forum) by Susana on Thu, May 22 2008
  • Re: Intelligent creations

    What I understand you to be saying is that the crucial test is whether the creature is either: 1) a conscious moral agent - i.e. (?) a creature that knows the difference between right and wrong (histhasal) 2) has a concept of rights (leonidia) 3) has the ability to reason like a human (leonidia) 4) has the capacity to claim freedom (BlackSheep) I find
    Posted to General (Forum) by Susana on Thu, May 22 2008
  • Re: Rights of rescuers

    [quote user="liberty student"] Can I sue my rescuer if they save me, but I lose a limb? What if I die but they try to save me? Can my heirs sue them for compensation for failing to save me? [/quote] You miss my point. I am not advocating an obligation to save someone. Everyone is entitled to walk away when someone is in trouble. What I am
    Posted to General (Forum) by Susana on Wed, May 21 2008
  • Re: Intelligent creations

    [quote user="histhasthai"]I qualified it with "conscious, moral agent". [/quote] OK. When I build Frankenstein then I'll make sure he's a conscious, immoral agent. That way he remains my slave. I'll just program him not to turn on me.
    Posted to General (Forum) by Susana on Wed, May 21 2008
  • Re: Rights of rescuers

    Markets works well because people are rational. They don't buy something from one shop if they can save a lot of money by buying it from the shop next door. It's not usually in their interests. But when it comes to a rescue, you turn around and rely on the fact that some people are irrational. They will risk their lives, even for no benefit
    Posted to General (Forum) by Susana on Wed, May 21 2008
  • Re: Intelligent creations

    [quote user="histhasthai"]Assuming "smart as a human" means "conscious, moral agent", for which the scenario in the last sentence would be defacto proof. You have no property rights as a creator of a consciousness, whether the raw material is DNA or silicon.[/quote] Does that also mean that a chimp who is born smart should
    Posted to General (Forum) by Susana on Wed, May 21 2008
  • Re: Rights of rescuers

    [quote user="histhasthai"] If I show up at your house tomorrow while you are at work and mow your lawn, do you have to pay my hourly rate? Unsolicited services, of any kind, are charity - at best. Any compensation recieved for them is a gratuity. Except when government gets involved. [/quote] Well that sucks. What has mowing a lawn got to
    Posted to General (Forum) by Susana on Wed, May 21 2008
  • Rights of rescuers

    If a house is burning down and someone is inside unconscious, and I rescue her from certain death, but I suffer terrible burns, then does she have to pay my medical bills? If someone is drowning and I hire a helicopter to save her from certain death, then does she have to repay me for the hire of the helicopter?
    Posted to General (Forum) by Susana on Wed, May 21 2008
  • Intelligent creations

    If I create a child out of my DNA and my labor, then I don't own it, right? If I make an android who is as smart as a human, then do I own it or not? If I genetically engineer a chimpanzee to be as smart as a human, then do I own it? What happens if the android or superchimp decides to work for someone else and pay its own way through the world
    Posted to General (Forum) by Susana on Wed, May 21 2008
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | More Search Options