  • Re: "Book of Aquarius" - The Real Philosopher's Stone?

    Opening the mind...opening the mind...opening the mind... PLOP! My brains fell out. How unfortunate.
    Posted to General (Forum) by rhermida on Fri, Sep 16 2011
  • Re: Calling yourself progressive is arrogant.

    It bugs me as well. You can make "progression" towards any number of objectives/endpoints, either positive or negative. Neither progress or conservation is intrinsically good or bad. I saw that someone quoted Thomas Sowell in this thread. After reading the OP, I am reminded of commentary by Sowell (that I can't find for some reason) where
    Posted to General (Forum) by rhermida on Fri, Sep 16 2011
  • Re: We need government or else we'd just kill each other

    Wheylous, I think you are probably right. In my experience, that is the thinking behind the tone of thought processes like the OP's friend showed, but one shouldn't assume what is one people's minds. To the OP, it might also be worthwhile to hammer away at the other side of the ledger, if your friend is taking a utilitarian perspective on
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by rhermida on Tue, Sep 13 2011
  • Re: We need government or else we'd just kill each other

    Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't human beings and human nature present in government? Whatever you think are the inherent failings of human nature, they are present within government, except with the addition of a monopoly on legal aggression to carry out whatever the consequences of those failings might be. Edit: Removed an assumption about
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by rhermida on Tue, Sep 13 2011
  • Re: PIG

    From my personal experience in high school (as a minarchist in a classroom of neocons) it is helpful to not be overly ambitious and to explain a few concepts very well, rather than explaining/emphasizing a larger number of concepts poorly (relative to what you would be able to do if you had more time). Explaining simple ideas like seen vs. unseen effects
    Posted to General (Forum) by rhermida on Thu, Sep 1 2011
  • Re: Capitalism is RACIST!!

    Stephen, You might be interested in the following articles (see link-2009 articles). Wicherts, J.M., Borsboom, D., & Dolan, C.V. (2009). Why national IQs do not support evolutionary theories of intelligence. Personality and Individual Differences, 48, 91-96. Wicherts, J.M., Borsboom, D., & Dolan, C.V. (2009). Evolution, brain size, and the national
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by rhermida on Fri, Aug 5 2011
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | More Search Options