  • Punishment in a libertarian society

    If punishment is an act designed to reprimand a criminal for his criminal actions, the use of force is a legitimate tool to enforce it. The question I have however is how would punishments be enforced in a libertarian society? I have recently read a Rothbard article where he theorized that in a libertarian society, there would be much less prisons.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Pierre-Alexandre Crevaux on Thu, Sep 27 2012
  • Why is inflation bad?

    I keep reading articles about how the ways to prevent inflation and whu such and such is bad because it causes inflation (fiat paper money, fractional reserve banking, low interest rates, etc.) The one thing I don't understand, though, is why is inflation bad? It's elementary, sure. But rare are the ones that address the subject over here. My
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Pierre-Alexandre Crevaux on Sat, Aug 18 2012
  • How would credits appear in a libertarian world?

    I often hear the time-interest theory of credit. Real credit is based on savings rather than fraction reserve banking and the interest rate depends on the amount of savings in an economy. It is simple economics and I don't see why it takes so much time for society to understand this. But there is another problem. Not the interest rate one, but rather
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Pierre-Alexandre Crevaux on Sat, Aug 18 2012
  • Did Rothbard admit the need for some government?

    I'm trying my best to become an anarcho-capitalism. And I like the concept of having private judges and courts. But when it comes to law binding, I am confused. Rothbard, in his For a New Liberty mentions that it would be impractical for society if there were appeals over and over again. He says that there must be some cutoff point, which he sees
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Pierre-Alexandre Crevaux on Thu, Jul 26 2012
  • Question on the Austrian theory of malinvestment

    So I understand the basic premise of the saving-based interest rate theory, which is very logical. The more savings, the cheaper the price of credit is, since credit comes from savings. It's basic supply and demand. Now, I can see how this is a good thing. The cheaper the credit, the easier the investments and the new projects. But then, how come
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Pierre-Alexandre Crevaux on Thu, Jul 26 2012
  • Do Mises Courses Count as college credit hours?

    For those that have or are planning to take a Mises Academy class. Do you know if the classes you take count as credit hours in college institutions? If it depends on the institution, is there a list of all the colleges that accept Mises Academy credits? I am going to enter Miami-Dade College this fall and I also would like to take a few Mises courses
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by Pierre-Alexandre Crevaux on Fri, Jul 20 2012
  • Response to a government-law society advocate

    So I'm doing this debate on a website called debate.org ( http://www.debate.org/debates/We-do-not-need-the-State-to-help-us-live-our-lives./1/ ). The topic of the debate is that we do not need a State to help us live our lives and I challenge my opponent to name a single topic where government is absolutely needed. My opponent has given me three
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Pierre-Alexandre Crevaux on Wed, Jun 13 2012
  • Re: Isn't government intervention justified with pollution

    I know it is late (three years) but let me try this about your ozone question. Did you know that CFCs were five times heavier than air? How could it possibly travel 40 miles upwards and start destroying the ozone layer? In a world like ours with a logical gravity, I don't see how CFCs could be responsible for the ozone depletion.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Pierre-Alexandre Crevaux on Sun, May 13 2012
  • How do we deal with the problem of air pollution?

    In a purely libertarian society, I understand property rights could save us from land and water pollution. I wouldn't want anyone to dump garbage on my land, or in my water source. Fine. But this is easy to imagine because such property is physical. You may own a river, a lake, a field, or a garden. But you can't own air. Air is the only that's
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Pierre-Alexandre Crevaux on Sun, Apr 1 2012
  • Do Regulations Kill Jobs?

    I'm entirely against the principle of regulations in a market economy. Why? Because I believe they raise prices due to less choice (i.e. less competition). Also, I believe regulations allow irresponsible people to stay on the free market with the government's guidance, while an unregulated marketplace would get rid of unintelligent entrepreneurs
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Pierre-Alexandre Crevaux on Mon, Feb 27 2012
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | More Search Options