  • Re: Minarchy vs Anarchy

    I don't think there is any inconsistency between methodological individualism and concepts such as economic efficiency, which can be thought of as a rough proxy for maximizing total utility. If you want to persuade people that a particular set of institutions is desirable, one way of doing so is to show them that, in some average sense, it results
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by David Friedman on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: Minarchy vs Anarchy

    Happy to help. As best I can tell, my father routinely answered mail from strangers. In that way as in others, I try to live up to his example.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by David Friedman on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: Minarchy vs Anarchy

    Actually, the teleportation system has speeded up a bit, possibly due to my living in Silicon Valley for so long. I don't think the issue of cardinal vs ordinal utility is central to differences between the Chicago and Austrian approaches to economics. I wouldn't even assume that all Austrians reject Cardinal utility. It plays a major role in
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by David Friedman on Fri, May 3 2013
  • Re: Which of these do you think I should read (and in what order)?

    "You need to be able to verbalize their wrong opinions and notice the difference between Keynesians, Chicagoans and Austrians, before you will be able to attack it." That amused me--it takes it for granted that, before learning to understand those positions you already know they are wrong and need to be attacked. The poster assumes away the
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by David Friedman on Fri, Mar 8 2013
  • Re: Two versions of anarcho-capitalism: David Friedman vs. Murray Rothbard

    "For example, in Dr. Friedman's depiction of "prohibitions against heroin use", does that mean "people are not allowed to use heroin on my property", or does it mean "people who use heroin are not allowed on my property", or does it mean "it's permitted to imprison, maim, and/or kill people who use heroin"
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by David Friedman on Tue, Feb 12 2013
  • Re: Two versions of anarcho-capitalism: David Friedman vs. Murray Rothbard

    "In polycentric law, the property owners decide what set of laws is used in their lands" That is not my view. If you believe it is, perhaps you can quote where I proposed it. The main source for my views is my book _The Machinery of Freedom_--you can download it as a pdf from my web page for free. I agree that my view of law is different from
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by David Friedman on Tue, Feb 12 2013
  • Re: The Blaze Libertarian Network

    I don't think "utilitarian vs deontological" is right, for two reasons. To begin with, my arguments are consequentialist (rather than deontological) but not always utilitarian. Perhaps more important, that's a disagreement about how best to argue for libertarian (anarchist or otherwise) conclusions, not about why they are true. My
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by David Friedman on Fri, Jan 11 2013
  • Re: The Blaze Libertarian Network

    Sorry to disappoint you ... . I don't have to lurk--I have a friend named Google. Are you sure you don't want to describe Murray's view as Molinari-Rothbardism? Molinari's version of anarcho-capitalism was published about a century before Rothbard's. I think the relevant question is one of intellectual influence--who got what ideas
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by David Friedman on Fri, Jan 11 2013
  • Re: Have you read the Machinery of Freedom? Your opinion?

    Not really. I haven't persuaded Open Court to either revert the copyright to me or gree to publish a third edition, I suspect because the firm isn't in very good shape and so isn't responding to anything very rapidly. And I have two other writing projects--my new book on legal systems and the sequel to Salamander--so haven't been pushing
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by David Friedman on Wed, Oct 3 2012
  • Re: Have you read the Machinery of Freedom? Your opinion?

    Aristippus says: "I was talking about the uses from the standpoint of the user." And the argument for declining marginal utility of sacks of grain is also talking about uses from the standpoint of the user. So how come the fourth tire doesn't count as an identical unit but the sixth sack of grain does? In each case, what has changed is
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by David Friedman on Tue, Oct 2 2012
Page 1 of 8 (78 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options