  • Re: On the Self-Contradiction Argument Against Minarchy

    The cold hard truth of it is that even if a perpetual minimal state is theoretically possible, no such state has ever existed, or currently exists. Even if such a state were to be established, and would survive, it's service provision would end up being split for simple efficiency. The state would, following 100% libertarian principles, fall into
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mlee on Sat, Oct 31 2009
  • Re: Help me inspire my college freshmen students to love free-market capitalism!

    May I recommend Garet Garrett's novels? The Mises website has them I believe.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mlee on Fri, Oct 23 2009
  • Barbary Pirates

    One of the brilliant things about the Mises Institute is it's extensive online library. Within recent months, I have used this library to study revisionist history on nearly every war ever fought by the US government. Also, I looked for any rebuttals to the arguments presented. (one star reviews for Thomas Dilorenzo's works are great places
    Posted to History (Forum) by Mlee on Thu, Oct 15 2009
  • Re: Critique time!

    Once again, how is this ANY different than the manner in which states interact? Ever read up on the bombing of Dresden, or the Firebombing of Tokyo, or for that matter, the Rape of Nanking. States are capable of atrocities that make Mob hits look like child's play. Mobsters drew up contracts just as states do, and mobs collected protection money
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mlee on Fri, Oct 9 2009
  • Re: Critique time!

    I never claimed you supported "economic regulation" (Although you do depending on the definition) What I did claim however, was that there was a strong relationship between organized crime, and state regulation of the economy. Given this, it can be understood that in an environment with little (no society is perfect) to no regulation would
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mlee on Fri, Oct 9 2009
  • Re: Critique time!

    I do believe that the state is something of a mob/gang, being that it takes territory by force, demands protection money, controls commerce etc. States already have battled over territory, and left millions dead as a result (deaths that were often not even necessary for any sort of "victory", what we could call deaths by malfeasance or incompetence
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mlee on Fri, Oct 9 2009
  • District 9

    While this is an economics/political theory blog, an occasional foray into pop culture surely wouldn't be overly harmful, especially when the movie in question has strong relevance. The movie of course, is District 9, in my non-professional (but well informed) opinion, one of the best movies of the summer. While it functions as a Sci-Fi action film
    Posted to General (Forum) by Mlee on Mon, Oct 5 2009
  • Re: Do you feel that conesrvatives discredit us?

    How did you get to be a billionare? w/o IP laws and the state to enforce a monopoly, getting to that point would be rather difficult. But even if you are at that point, why is this any different from the state, that has the power to enforce it's will with a massive supply of arms? Also, if you can become a billionare, how many other billionares
    Posted to General (Forum) by Mlee on Fri, Sep 18 2009
  • Re: Do you feel that conesrvatives discredit us?

    Governments exercise a degree of power over natural market and non-market voluntary interactions, but that power, in the eyes of history, is microscopic in comparision to that of the market. The State is a parasite on a much more powerful, life affirming organism, society itself. Markets, cooperatives, etc. ARE everywhere, the state has simply taken
    Posted to General (Forum) by Mlee on Fri, Sep 18 2009
  • Re: Most Underatted Libertarian Theorist?

    Apparently one can come to ethical conclusions w/o ethics, this must be a revolution in philosophy. That is, unless Libertrian principles aren't ethical in nature.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Mlee on Fri, Sep 18 2009
Page 1 of 14 (138 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options