  • Re: What have Austrians been wrong about?

    The Austrian treatment of air I always found confusing: a non-scarce good is one which is superfluous regarding the fullfilment of wants and/or the production of a consumer good. However air is considered a non-scarce good even though you do have to make a conscious effort to breath, so how can air be non-scarce unless you define scarce air as perhaps
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by fakename on Sun, Oct 13 2013
  • What connects Nietzsche with Libertarianism?

    I've noticed that a lot of people really identify with Nietzsche and his philosophy of life. However, I never did see how his philosophy should necessarily create very outspoken libertarians. Perhaps this is because I don't know enough about his ideas. So why does Nietzsche influence libertarians?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by fakename on Mon, May 6 2013
  • Re: Historian Niall Ferguson

    Does anyone have any opinions about Niall Ferguson? I've always liked the guy. I find his popular writings very accessible and ussually informative. But I think his feelings on empire may not sit well with a libertarian crowd. What do you lot think? I like him, but I just wished that he would write even more controversial books, though I understand
    Posted to General (Forum) by fakename on Mon, May 6 2013
  • Re: How do people/businesses get affected by the interest rate?

    But who are the bond-sellers? Who are the first recipients? I suppose banks are? Who are the entrepreneurs of the construction industry? Why would any business go out of business if they could lobby government for support? How is it that the debts of banks end up affecting everyone (for instance, you would think that these debts would only affect parties
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by fakename on Fri, May 3 2013
  • Re: Molyneux diagnosed with cancer

    Use the power of lipo-spheric vitamin C! That's just my 2 cents. Hope he survives it.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by fakename on Thu, May 2 2013
  • How do people/businesses get affected by the interest rate?

    Abstract theory tells us that interest rates affect people and institutions but in my experience, (which is admittedly limited) I can't see how they do this. Obviously the rate of interest encourages people to leave more money in the bank rather than less, however I'm not sure how that fact concretely translates into employment/unemployment
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by fakename on Thu, May 2 2013
  • Has anyone watched David Harvey's lectures on Karl Marx's Capital?

    If you haven't, I would suggest doing so if you want greater in-depth knowledge of Marxism.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by fakename on Sun, Apr 28 2013
  • Re: Django Unchained.

    Just saw it. What do you all think of it? Did Tarantino portray slavery accurately? I didn't see it just because I've read Time on a Cross and critical reviews of the book, so I know that even on the brutalest plantations, people weren't being whipped anymore than a handful of times, over the course of a year. In exchange they received a
    Posted to General (Forum) by fakename on Sun, Apr 28 2013
  • Re: Free Market Solution to Homelessness?

    Doing a bit of research for my final paper this term, and I'm proposing a free market solution to homelessness in America. For starters, this is the information I've typically found thus far: this study in Maine is claiming that the solution to homelessness is permanent subsidized housing. The study claims that people save more on average in
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by fakename on Fri, Apr 26 2013
  • Re: Big-Tent Rightism

    So has anyone noticed a certain political current on the internet which seems like big-tent rightism? And when I say rightism, I don't mean the American Republican party, but a rightism which is inclusive of conservatives, nationalists, libertarians, reactionaries and monarchists. It's more like a big anti-leftist movement than anything. Do
    Posted to General (Forum) by fakename on Fri, Apr 19 2013
Page 1 of 100 (996 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options