  • Re: Quick breakdown of some economic fallacies

    As a libertarian, I have no problem with people voluntarily forming workers' organizations such as unions. By the same token, I do have a problem with people trespassing. I also have a problem with people attacking others when those others are trying to go to work. I completely agree with you here. I had a long thing typed up but I tried to quote
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by cornellguy64 on Thu, Jan 19 2012
  • Re: Quick breakdown of some economic fallacies

    I said silicon valley workers are highly paid because they are experts. Specialization is good in that specialized suppliers of labor can create higher demand for their services and higher wages, but also limits suppliers in their career options. Also, some firms do pay competitive wages and do not need to be unionized (see Delta Airlines' notorious
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by cornellguy64 on Thu, Jan 19 2012
  • Re: Quick breakdown of some economic fallacies

    I find it laughable that you think a google search can replace years of studying unions at an ivy-league institution. What a cop-out argument.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by cornellguy64 on Thu, Jan 19 2012
  • Re: Quick breakdown of some economic fallacies

    1. I'm talking about the market for labor. I state this several times in my explanation. It particularly exists in the market for unskilled labor. There are a lot of examples of real-life monopsony, but in my explanation I used an extreme example. Of course the real market for labor is not that extreme, but it is much closer to this than it is to
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by cornellguy64 on Wed, Jan 18 2012
  • Re: Quick breakdown of some economic fallacies

    I agree with all of these points except one: his bit about unions. Unions do not necessarily inflate wages above what they should be on the market because in many instances, there isn't a compitive market for labor. The model that is used in this argument to describe the union effect on wages is the perfect competition model, which assumes there
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by cornellguy64 on Wed, Jan 18 2012
  • Re: Classical Liberalism vs. Modern Libertarianism

    Mill was a classical liberal, but Rousseau defitiely was not. In fact, Rousseau can almost be considered a direct response to classical liberalism. Most calssic liberal philosophers, namely Locke and Hobbes, wrote that societies and governments formed to protect private property rights and basic human freedoms. Essentially, they argued that the state
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by cornellguy64 on Wed, Jan 18 2012
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | More Search Options