  • Re: what do you think about the electoral college?

    [quote user="Malachi"]no, not really. in a few states they divide them up according to district. but the entire point of the electoral college is that the electors are not bound to the will of the voters. the jeffersonian model was designed with a balance of powers, not pure democratic sentiment. electors are cannot be elected officeholders
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Mon, May 6 2013
  • Re: I need this thread unlocked

    [quote] I would say it does qualitatively in specific departments. Where cpu cycle rate is concerned the limitation is detail resolution. I have a program with a function that takes some market variables, takes some utility variables from a human class and decides how to spend money. That is fairly easy. However, the list of utilities and number of
    Posted to General (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Mon, May 6 2013
  • Re: The Question of Choice...HELP!

    [quote user="Malachi"] [quote]Gunderson does not understand that there is a difference between slave labor being "efficient" for the slave owner and its effect on society as a whole. Of course slavery was profitable to slave owners. This government-supported system helped them confiscate the fruits of the slaves' labor. But since
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Mon, May 6 2013
  • Re: The Question of Choice...HELP!

    [quote] TA, if you believe you are mature, act the part. You certainly do not strike me as such.[/quote] Don't worry bro, I'm certainly not as mature as I should be given my age. Not that I'm an old man, but it's certainly unbecoming to tease and ridicule kids and get into these dumb online arguments when you're no longer a teenager
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Mon, May 6 2013
  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    I've split the debate about rational expectations to another thread, you might want to check it out: http://mises.org/community/forums/t/33439.aspx
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Mon, May 6 2013
  • Mathematical expectation and rational decision taking [split from "Defense in anarchy" thread]

    [quote user="malachi"] do you even know what mathematical expectation is?[/quote] Haha.. cute. The problem though is that I'm not a chick and I'm no homo. So you should save your "negs" and cute little lines for someone else… Anyways, I was trying to show you that even though the concept of mathematical expectation
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Mon, May 6 2013
  • Re: what do you think about the electoral college?

    [quote] Also what if someone like Ron paul got the nomination and the majority of the national vote but then the establishment got enough electors to vote against him thus denying him the presidency. Only under the electoral college could this very likely situation happen. [/quote] Aren't all the electors of a state supposed to vote for the guy
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: Minarchy vs Anarchy

    [quote user="David Friedman"] Hope that helps.[/quote] I guess. I mean, I think I see your point. It is not inconsistent to apply methodoligical individualism in a collectivist utilitarian context if we assume that individuals have, generally, some sort of altruistic feeling (I guess you call it "liberal sensitivities" in the US
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    It would be cool if a moderator reading this could split this whole discussion of expectation and probability to another thread because it's kinda of a side issue here, and it's an interesting point that many people get confused about, like malachi. It could start at my post just after the "markmerich" post (which by the way is a scam
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    The whole point with rational expectations theory is that the decision maker will take a gamble if it maximizes his expected utility, and not necesseraly his expected money gains. If his utility function is convex, he'll take gambles with negative expected monetary returns, that will have positive expectation in utility terms. And this is the case
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
Page 2 of 37 (367 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options