  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    [quote user="Malachi"] I think we are done here, unless you have something else to say. [/quote] I see, The mathematically savvy reader probably has figured it out already, but the last post was a bit too technical, with convexity and utility functions. When I have more time in my hands I'll comeback and make a more detailed explanation
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    [quote] rational actors consider alternative courses of action. the entire point of the odds is to compare different courses of action and their likely effects. the entire point of our discussion is a comparison of different courses of action, and you concede that for a rational actor it comes down to what means is right for his ends, and you suddenly
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: I need this thread unlocked

    It's not procreation that causes poverty, successful procreation is actually a sign of affluence and ability to provide. And having too many kids does not make you poorer either. On the contrary, large close-knit families, on the long run, are very effective ways of getting out of poverty, due to shared network of opportunities. Within a family
    Posted to General (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    *final betting rounds
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    I agree, the baseline odds of the roulette game are important when you're calculating your implied odds that determine the benefits of entering the game or not. But you're making unnecessary over complications when you start considering other games. I'm not saying that roulette will be necessarily the best solution for every guy in such
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    Correct, but it makes the decision of playing the roulette by that particular individual at that particular moment a rational decision. The regular odds of the abstract game of roulette does not change, but the "implied odds" of that particular instance of roulette are favorable.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    It will adjust the mathematical expectation of the game, because now the scenarios "win" and "loose" have gains beyond the money value of the chips won or lost.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    [quote] good. so you agree that those decision makers would decide not to engage in violence if their cost-effectiveness analysis gave them a negative mathematical expectation? [/quote] Not exactly, but something like that. A game like roulette has a "negative mathematical expectation" for every player (except the house), when computed in
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, May 5 2013
  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    [quote] I am telling you that in practice, a different world is a different practical result. you cant escape causality by hiding elsewhere and pretending things dont matter. youre an ostrich. [/quote] It's not that. Sometimes a guy can be in a situation where resorting to violence is very rational for him. Say he owes money to some mafia guys,
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: I need this thread unlocked

    [quote] And this assumes that we're just isolated computers walking around. What if there is a "cloud" that we tap into as well,[/quote] Well, human beings function socially, so you can assume there's some kind of social processing of information, like a swarm-mind of sorts, and markets as well as other processes like traditions and
    Posted to General (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, May 4 2013
Page 3 of 37 (367 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options