  • Re: A view on wealth redistribution

    [quote user="z1235"] The majority of humans already understand and enjoy the superiority of voluntary action (VA) vs. initiation of aggression (IA). If that wasn't so, humanity would have gone extinct a long time ago, much less be able to communicate thoughts like these over a communication network today. The problem through history has
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, Dec 16 2012
  • Re: A view on wealth redistribution

    [quote user="Wheylous"] TA - there are two answers to your question. First off, you can't quantify the size of government. If I tried to before, then I was wrong. There are several dimensions to government, as you have shown. The Heritage index tries doing this, but even then it's not "the" answer. Rather than just looking
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sun, Dec 16 2012
  • Re: A view on wealth redistribution

    It's not a matter of "wouldn't it be nice". the point is simple: since violence can be mobilized by organization to accomplish goals of these organizations, it will be done. What you call State is only the current technological trend of an ancient industry. And it won't stop because somebody realized that it is "bad for the
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, Dec 15 2012
  • Re: A view on wealth redistribution

    No, not everything is an economic resource that has to be economized. One simple example is atmospheric air. In most situations it is not strategically economized because it is plentiful. However it can become an economic resource once local pollution becomes an issue, or a crowd is locked in a non ventilated room. In these situations, a market for
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, Dec 15 2012
  • Re: A view on wealth redistribution

    That's the point. A "market" is the pattern of strategic employment of economic resources. And violence that can be used as coercive power is an economic resource. It is has multiple ends that its finite supply cannot entirely satisfy. So it is a scarce resource, that is sought after and economized. Probably one of the oldest of all resources
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, Dec 15 2012
  • Re: A view on wealth redistribution

    [quote user="z1235"] What's the point of polling which of the two may be "bigger gov"?[/quote] All government is wrong, all tax is theft, yada yada yada. I get it. That's not the point. The point is getting a deeper understanding of the economic patterns of political violence that happens in the real world, and not entering
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, Dec 15 2012
  • Re: Guns Want You DEAD

    When there's a massacre in a school everybody almost instantly talks about gun control. But it's rare to see anyone talking about the real issue: packing a lot of small children in the same virtually defenseless building everyday, where they are all sitting ducks waiting for the next psychopath.
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, Dec 15 2012
  • Re: A view on wealth redistribution

    [quote user="Andris Birkmanis"] more taxation => bigger gov more regulation => bigger gov It's not 'either, or'. This is not rocket surgery.[/quote] I understand you are used to see people here preaching on how things should or would be, ideally, in a perfect society where some abstract ethical principle hold strong. And
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Fri, Dec 14 2012
  • Re: A view on wealth redistribution

    [quote user="Andris Birkmanis"] Does it redistribute in kind? I mean, there is no fiat currency, right? How are transactions valuated? How is income estimated? [/quote] Those are all excellent technical questions. Since government does not impose any fiat currency as sole legal tender, people would have incentives to avoid getting payments
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Fri, Dec 14 2012
  • Re: A view on wealth redistribution

    [quote user="anenome"] Doesn't really matter how big it is. It is unethical to steal 50% of someone's wealth, even if your intent is to later give it back to them. It is also unethical to steal 1%. It is the stealing we object to, not the size of the government! (Well, the size is objectionable too! But my point is, our ideal government
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Fri, Dec 14 2012
Page 33 of 37 (367 items) « First ... < Previous 31 32 33 34 35 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options