  • Re: Murray Rothbard on abortion

    “Personal/Cultural intuition is not a substitute for reason. A zygote or fetus cannot be considered a self-owner without contradiction. Sometimes conclusions are non-intuitive to some, than social sanctions replace direct violence. (I adress this in my post above)” Of course, we are at completely different ends in the spectrum here. What
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Fri, Jan 27 2012
  • Re: Murray Rothbard on abortion

    I agree that rights are gradually acquired. That's common sense. You can't drive a car if you're 11 yr old. Rights can also be temporalily suspended. You can't drive under the influence even if you are 21. The right not to be exterminated on the other hand seem to be more of an absolute. Very small children can't say "no"
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Thu, Jan 26 2012
  • Re: Murray Rothbard on abortion

    "And so to claim a fetus is a moral agent at all seems to me highly unjustified" The same should hold for small children. Children cannot sustain moral arguments nor they are in a symetrical situation with respect to other agents, at least not before they learn to talk and reason. They are not moral agents before they learn it. Before that
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Thu, Jan 26 2012
  • Re: Question about GDP

    I will free ride on this topic to talk about a related project of mine. Hope you don't mind :) Then again, my english is crap, please, don't kill yourself. I was thinking about doing my project on economics using a modified “Fishermen parable” as a model to understand the meaning and shortcomings of a GDP-like revenue aggregator
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Thu, Jan 26 2012
  • Re: Murray Rothbard on abortion

    I don't it so much as a biology problem. I think defining any biological threshold would be an ad hoc justification for doing whatever one wants do. The process through which rationality emerges is not yet completely understood, but one thing is sure: it is gradient. But the issue here is another one. It is a moral problem. The considerations that
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Wed, Jan 25 2012
  • Re: Murray Rothbard on abortion

    I will attempt to approach the arguments of “self-sovereignty” and of a “counsciousness threshold” of humanbeingness at once. I’m evidently not a legal scholar (nor Austrian, for that matter), so please correct if I’m saying something stupid here. And forgive my weak command of the English language, I will attempt
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Tue, Jan 24 2012
  • Re: Murray Rothbard on abortion

    I don't think so. I think the ethically sound way of approaching the question is from the perspective of personal responsibility over consequential decisions. To a woman carrying a child of a rapist it cannot be inflicted any duty. Preserving the life of another person whose condition she's not responsible for is not her moral responsibility
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Mon, Jan 23 2012
Page 37 of 37 (367 items) « First ... < Previous 33 34 35 36 37 | More Search Options