  • Re: Defence in anarchy

    [quote user="Caley McKibbin"] if you want to own an apple and avoid a dispute with someone, you have to buy or or hold out your open palm until someone gives it to you. if you dont care about ownership rights and just want to consume an apple, you have to find an unsecured or unowned apple. two different causes, two different effects. [/quote
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: I need this thread unlocked

    [quote user="Caley McKibbin"] [quote]I mean, the day they can create a computer powerful enough to emulate the human brain.[/quote] That depends on how you qualify emulating it. A current computer could run a program that essentially thinks like a human. It's a question of resolution/time. [/quote] This whole "thinks like a human"
    Posted to General (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: what do you think about the electoral college?

    The electoral college ends up by putting much more weight on the votes of people living in swing states, which does not seem very democratic.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: Would you support a military coup?

    But it's not a question of what's perfectly ethical thing to do in the land of imagination and cotton candy. It's all about what's the realpolitik move in the realpolitik world we happen to live in. If instead of being insulated from the fact by many years and miles, you were living in Chile during the period, chances are you would have
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: Minarchy vs Anarchy

    Hello professor David Friedman, I hope I'm not talking to some troll using your name. Regarding these different perspectives on utility functions, there's also the issue of Chicago School utilitarianism. Some Chicago School people, like Ronald Coase in his namesake theorem, and yourself in Machinery of Freedom, seem inclined to work with abstract
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: The Question of Choice...HELP!

    About those Smiling Dave links, why don't you go there and extract the passage that shows how all these slave-holding enterprises were losing money dealing with slaves back in the day, and how they could've been making so much more money had they hired the free labor available, if only they were smart enough to calculate their costs right. And
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: The Question of Choice...HELP!

    [quote] should I really be using alternating current?[/quote] No, you shouldn't go back and use direct current for high voltage applications where alternate current proved a better alternative. And you shouldn't go back using slaves in agriculture either. You would probably loose money. That's not what I was saying, and you seem to know
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Sat, May 4 2013
  • Re: I need this thread unlocked

    [quote user="Blargg"] Responding to the original post, we have unlimited desires, so by the time we have machines doing all the current work we do, we'll have come up with many times more things we'd like done that machines can't yet do. Just consider the people who own the machines that feed the world; they can trade the food
    Posted to General (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Fri, May 3 2013
  • Re: How do people/businesses get affected by the interest rate?

    Actually, the Fed (and other central banks in other countries) can set the discount (a.k.a "short" a.k.a. "overnight") rates. They can also set the fractional reserve ratio for all banks in the system as another tool for monetary policy. But generally they go for open market operations, that is buying bonds or other assets directly
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Fri, May 3 2013
  • Re: Does the government own your land?

    You and her are wrong. A right always belong to the person with the strongest claim to that right. It might be you or the government branch who's bothering you, it depends on the circumstances. It has nothing to do with who got where first. brotip: If you're trying to lay this broad you should avoid deep logical conversations and go for a more
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by ToxicAssets on Fri, May 3 2013
Page 4 of 37 (367 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options