  • Identifying circumstances that suit an argument type (consequentialist vs ethical)

    Note that the thread, why I don't believe in the non-aggression principle , accumulated a number of long-winded posts about many conflicting ethical claims and related circumstances. It demonstrates how easy it can be for the intellectual to weasel his way out of libertarian ethics, and how hard it can be to convince the ordinary person that such
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Voluntaryist72 on Tue, May 15 2012
  • Re: Question for anarchists: can you consent to being taxed?

    Many people vote in self-defense to prevent other people taking their wealth. They are essentially acting in self-defense against the state, which is not consent.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Voluntaryist72 on Tue, May 15 2012
  • Re: Family Guy tackles anarchy

    The result is a crime infested, smog ridden riot in which the town gets together and reasons that they create a small government to prevent said result from occuring regularly. If the town gets together and reasons that they should create a small government, then the town doesn't need a small government to get together and reason. If everyone in
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Voluntaryist72 on Mon, May 14 2012
  • Re: Isn't government intervention justified with pollution

    As Friedman points out, in a statist society good law is a public good and bad "special interest" law is a private good. So the result is that good law is undersupplied and bad law is oversupplied. http://www.ozarkia.net/bill/anarchism/faq.html#part17 For every law that helps the environment, there are probably a dozen laws that give companies
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Voluntaryist72 on Mon, May 14 2012
  • Re: Morality vs. legality of child neglect

    I think a better analogy for Roderick Long to use would have been this: Suppose human beings magically come into existence onboard planes in mid-flight, where their survival depends on the pilot taking them safely to the ground. By flying a plane, the pilot takes the risk that someone may come into being during his flight. Pro-abortionists would be
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Voluntaryist72 on Sat, Mar 17 2012
  • Even thieves and murderers demand RULES

    Find a single political party that wants to abolish all rules and rule-making... if there has been one in the history of democracy. In every election without fail, 99% of eligible voters don't vote in favor of substituting the government for permanent chaos. In other words, democracy is 99% obsolete. No one is forced to vote, therefore 99% of people
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Voluntaryist72 on Sat, Mar 17 2012
  • Re: Morality vs. legality of child neglect

    >> What’s an implicit contract? If someone is drowning at the beach, and you declare to everyone on the beach that you will go and rescue him, but all you do once you reach him is tread water, you're breaking an implicit contract. This is because you declared to everyone else that you would save him through your superior skill, which
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Voluntaryist72 on Sat, Mar 17 2012
  • Re: Morality vs. legality of child neglect

    >>In the case of child neglect, would libertarians agree that it is immoral to leave one's 1-day old baby alone at home (without anyone watching/taking care of him) while going on vacation, effectively killing the baby? (I assume that most libertarians would not think that it is a violation of anyone's rights.) I think generally speaking
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Voluntaryist72 on Fri, Mar 16 2012
  • Re: Morality vs. legality of child neglect

    >>My two cents: regardless of whether or not it ought to be illegal, it will always be de facto illegal. If the official law doesn't punish parents who leave their children home to die, mobs will. Likewise, regardless of whether black male-white female relationships ought to be illegal, it will always be de facto illegal. If official law doesn't
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Voluntaryist72 on Fri, Mar 16 2012
  • Re: Morality vs. legality of child neglect

    [quote user="Autolykos"]I think that morality ultimately has an instinctual basis. That is, nearly everyone is born with certain moral instincts.[/quote] A side note: instincts do not always lead to the best outcomes, as Malcolm Gladwell noted in Blink . I don't understand Stefan Molyneux's concepts of morality particularly well, but
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Voluntaryist72 on Fri, Mar 16 2012
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next > | More Search Options