  • Re: Marx's theory on value- a contradiction?

    @Aayu, Do you support Marx's position? I don't mean that as invective or as a criticism just for clarification. I support looking closely at his position and understanding what he is saying. I am not really sure right now. I have just started with his works, and although I can find many discrepencies, I'm not really sure if it is because
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Aayu on Fri, Aug 10 2012
  • Re: Marx's theory on value- a contradiction?

    [quote user="Autolykos"] Finally, keep in mind that Marx's law of value doesn't say that commodity prices must be proportional to their labor-values - it only says that commodity prices will tend to be so. [/quote] And this is where Marx's law is inferior to Austrian Economics, because it identifies a correlation of one (supply
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Aayu on Thu, Aug 9 2012
  • Re: Marx's theory on value- a contradiction?

    [quote user="Autolykos"] Finally, keep in mind that Marx's law of value doesn't say that commodity prices must be proportional to their labor-values - it only says that commodity prices will tend to be so. [/quote] And this is where Marx's law is inferior to Austrian Economics, because it identifies a correlation of one (supply
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Aayu on Thu, Aug 9 2012
  • Re: Marx's theory on value- a contradiction?

    [quote user="Autolykos"]With all due respect, I think that kinda talks past my point. My point was that, regardless of that analysis, people who expend labor on things will want to be compensated for that labor, not simply the average labor that's expended on those things. So that can affect the prices that people ask for in an economy
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Aayu on Thu, Aug 9 2012
  • Re: Milkshakes in the desert

    Social programs don't contradict capitalism. Both of you can be rescued by the A Team.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Aayu on Wed, Aug 8 2012
  • Re: Marx's theory on value- a contradiction?

    The dominoes pizza vs a pizza from a local bakery has differentiated price. A levi's bag and a normal unbranded bag of similar quality will show differentiated prices, won't they?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Aayu on Wed, Aug 8 2012
  • Re: Marx's theory on value- a contradiction?

    Why then does the same commodity have different prices? For one thing, different people may expend different amounts of labor in producing the same commodity. If so, and assuming that each person would want to be compensated for the labor he did expend, the prices of each person's commodities will be different even though the commodities are the
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Aayu on Wed, Aug 8 2012
  • Re: Marx's theory on value- a contradiction?

    I don't know of any roadside stands that sell things for 1/10 of the normal price. Where are these? But given that there are some price differences, one must ask why people don't buy the cheaper one. It must be because they perceive them to have a different use-value, in which case Marx would say that they can have a different value. The problem
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Aayu on Tue, Aug 7 2012
  • Re: Marx's theory on value- a contradiction?

    First of all, I would seriously recommend tackling Capital with the aid of a study guide. David Harvey's 'A Companion to Marx's Caputal' is a good one, and he has free online lectures to go with it. Already on it. He's awesome. Marx is talking only of the price when supply equals demand. In other words, of the equilibrium price of
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Aayu on Tue, Aug 7 2012
  • Marx's theory on value- a contradiction?

    I am going through capital, volume 1- and I have a problem. Marx states that the value of a commodity is equal to the socially acceptable labour time necessary to produce that commodity. And that the exchange value, or relative value is the menifestation of that particular value in the use- value terms of the equivalent commodities. INow that we have
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Aayu on Wed, Aug 1 2012
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | More Search Options