  • Thomas Jefferson, Revolutionary period, and history

    Well, in regards to a dualism concerning Jefferson, and as Molyneux himself says: "Do not judge men of the past by the standards of today". Are doctors of the 13th century hypocrites for prescribing leeches because they more or less 'knew' it would cure the ailment---despite it not curing the ailment?
    Posted to History (Forum) by Vanitas Nomen on Mon, Sep 17 2012
  • Re: What is property?

    Ahh yes Malachi. The fundamental problem is revealed: How do we define what it means to use a refrigerator. For it cannot simply be putting an item within it's confines so as keep the items cool, nay!
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Vanitas Nomen on Mon, Sep 17 2012
  • Re: What is property?

    So you're saying that, if I have bread in my refrigerator that I'm not currently eating, I'm therefore not using it, and therefore everyone else is entitled to take it out of my refrigerator so he can eat it? You're using the refrigirator, so no, but something like that. I'm currently not certain if property (distinct from possession
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Vanitas Nomen on Mon, Sep 17 2012
  • Re: How will the free-market protect women?

    Please site the source(s) for your assertion that 'more girls are actually into mathematics now than he gives credit'. Please qualify the implied comparison between X and now, links please. Thank you kindly, bro yo yo.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Vanitas Nomen on Mon, Sep 17 2012
  • Re: What is property?

    You're using the refrigirator, so no, but something like that. I'm currently not certain if property (distinct from possession) is at all justified. So a meal kept in the refrigerator where one works is fair game?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Vanitas Nomen on Mon, Sep 17 2012
  • Re: What are the non-Austrian economics texts of importance?

    @ Andrew Cain You say: "History is not a science by any means. It is not even a "social science." I am curious, I thought history was a science inasmuch as it deals with the empirical facts of history - - but this is not to say that it is a natural science, but merely that it does deal with facts as they are. Learn me my man, if you have
    Posted to General (Forum) by Vanitas Nomen on Mon, Sep 17 2012
  • Re: How do the Austrians propose dealing with money market funds? - Paul Krugman

    On Graeber, in the interview he says debt originated from money. Sounds off considering you can do favors for friends or family and 'be in their debt' from a non-monetary point of view, and promise to 'repay' these favors by favors of your own. If this is possible today, follows it might have been possible in 6000bc, however the terminology
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Vanitas Nomen on Mon, Sep 17 2012
  • Re: Murder by property (rights)

    Building walls surely would wake up Joe, right? Or if the walls are built further away from Joe, so as not to wake him, the fact is you won't have enough time to construct the parameter to enclose him in. Oh that wasn't the point, sorry Hmm... Suppose I use a restroom at a restuaraunt and while I am inside this restroom the manager locks me
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Vanitas Nomen on Mon, Sep 17 2012
  • Re: The Somali Shilling

    But it hasn't gotten unilaterally worse in Somalia since the central government collapsed - - -some areas have improved, that is unless new data says otherwise. http://www.peterleeson.com/better_off_stateless.pdf
    Posted to General (Forum) by Vanitas Nomen on Sun, Sep 16 2012
  • Re: What is game theory?

    Everyone's ultimate goal is a pleasurable life, at least according to Mises in the first chapters of HA---maybe this is where the confusion stems from. Who can even begin to 'judge' the means to a pleasurable life in the first place? Because "pleasurable life", as an abstract idea, is itself sitting in a vacuum if it doesn't
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Vanitas Nomen on Sun, Sep 16 2012
Page 6 of 6 (60 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 | More Search Options