  • Re: What is to stop me killing a tramp?

    [quote user="JAlanKatz"]What if I die without a will and have no next of kin? Then it becomes ownerless, and anyone (but only one) can take it. Murder is an extreme case of this. [/quote] So if I came across a murdered tramp on the street, and had his murderer identified and caught, I can gain compensation, because I homesteaded the right
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Graham Wright on Mon, Mar 23 2009
  • Re: What is to stop me killing a tramp?

    [quote user="Stranger"] [quote user="Truth and Liberty"]Thanks - this makes sense. So anyone can sue anyone else, regardless of whether they are the victim, or the victim's next of kin, right? [/quote] No, that's nonsense. [/quote] Please can you explain? Being regarded by others as a dangerous individual doesn't seem
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Graham Wright on Mon, Mar 23 2009
  • Re: What is to stop me killing a tramp?

    [quote user="JAlanKatz"]Suppose I own a book, and then die while carrying my book in the street, and I have no next of kin. My book now becomes ownerless, and can be homesteaded by anyone who chooses to do so. Suppose I own a right to life. and then am killed in the street, and I have no next of kin. My right to life becomes a right to compensation
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Graham Wright on Mon, Mar 23 2009
  • What is to stop me killing a tramp?

    In a free society, only the victim can take an aggressor to court, and punishment is about restitution to the victim. But what about the case of murder, where there is no next of kin? Who will press charges against me, and who would I provide restitution to?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Graham Wright on Mon, Mar 23 2009
  • Re: Rothbard's Plan for Gold and the Dollar - How would the markets react?

    [quote user="Doubtus"] So basically the government decides the convertibility ratio? How is that any better from what we have now? They could just change the ratio and devalue the dollar by printing more. [/quote] The Federal Reserve would be abolished. If the government decided to start printing Federal Reserve Notes, it would have to compete
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Graham Wright on Sun, Mar 22 2009
  • Re: E-mail Debate on Austrian View: Help addressing his arguments

    [quote user="DPatty"] [quote user="Friend"]I saw a nice photo in the Toronto Star last week (can't find it on the site sadly). It was of a massive lot of new cars that hadn't left their factory because there was no demand. Ford probably thinks of these cars in much the same way as my bartender thinks about beer, "Do
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Graham Wright on Thu, Feb 26 2009
  • Re: Frustrating conceptual roadblock. Any Help Appreciated

    [quote user="brettman9"] More to the point: let's say I bought XYZ debt (instead of shares) from XYZ inc in a debt issuance to finance their payroll, and then let's say XYZ used that capital to pay me another million dollars in salary...They would have paid me twice with the same million dollars. Now I have 1 million in cash and 1
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Graham Wright on Thu, Feb 26 2009
  • Re: If the Fed is abolished, what next?

    [quote user="bearing01"]If you attempt to enforce a lower gold price (in dollars) then gold will leave the country. That's what happened in England during the great depression where gold started to leave England. England pursuaded the USA to inflate its money supply so less gold would leave England. Therefore, other countries had to suffer
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Graham Wright on Thu, Feb 26 2009
  • Re: If the Fed is abolished, what next?

    [quote user="luckyday"] Artificially low rate. George Reismann ( Capitalism ) pointed out that if all outstanding notes are traded directly for gold (i.e., Outstanding Notes in Dollars/Ozs. of US Gold = Exchange Ratio), this might cause a depression. According to him, the velocity of money would probably slow done after the switch to gold
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Graham Wright on Thu, Feb 26 2009
  • If the Fed is abolished, what next?

    If Ron Paul's Federal Reserve Board Abolition Act passes, what will be the next step for restoring a sound monetary system? Ron Paul clearly sees the restoration of a dollar gold standard as the goal. But how will this be achieved? This article presents the three basic alternatives: - At an artifically high rate - At an artifically low rate - At
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Graham Wright on Mon, Feb 23 2009
Page 84 of 85 (848 items) « First ... < Previous 81 82 83 84 85 Next > | More Search Options