  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]Who would build the roads? The horror! You really don't know where you are, do you?[/quote] Getting rid of the state does not get rid of coercive power at the barrel of a gun. I'd be less worried about roads and more so about who the next warlord would be that decides to make the rules for us. I suggest studying up a little on anthropology
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Thu, Oct 23 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]WTF does your pretty charts and appeal to authority fallacies have to do with the issue at hand?[/quote] Read the thread. It was in reply to a statistical claim with no data cited. If you're calling for no appeals to authority, then I guess we'll have to disregard all those links posted to columns on this site too. [quote]You haven't
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Thu, Oct 23 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]Um, no. Read the article to get what I am alluding to. How you actually arrive at "market share" figures plays a role in what result you'll get. You don't even have to lie.[/quote] Ok, so how are Net Applications' statistical methods lacking?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Thu, Oct 23 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]You mean like government "regulators" make up numbers ?[/quote] So, because the government lies a lot (though not all the time), this statistical report from a private firm is also a lie? Why are you now resorting to such far-fetched logical fallacies?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]Well i would have to say then that you ask the million dollar question. What form of society is most conducive to liberty, without letting it to be trampled by those who practice it. Essentially, when a person acts to better their situation, does morality or even ignorance have part to play in their decision making process? If one is free to
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]It's far less than 99%, and they're the laggards...and everyone I've met who's used Vista hates it...[/quote] Making up numbers and anecdotal evidence won't change the facts. 2007 OS market share: Source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]If one believes that "economic power" pursues "political power", then the logical outcome would be biased laws and regulations enforcable at will by whoever holds the clout (anti-trust laws).[/quote] Not quite. They pursue each other. It's part of the human condition to seek power in all forms. [quote]If one were to remove
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    Another case examination: Ma Bell (AT&T). Bell became a monopoly through collusion with government power -- then they were hit with an anti trust ruling in the 1970's. One can argue that they shouldn't have gotten there in the first place but "should" only applies in the theoretical world. The fact is they did because of our fallible
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    My "anarchist" sentence was more in gest so I don't want to go off on another tangent. We can discuss it in another thread if you like. :)
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    I understand that, under ideal conditions, state and private power would stay separated. Unfortunately, human beings are the subjects here and our innate behavior undermines those ideals. Because the state will always have political power, the private sector will want a piece of it and, conversely, the public sector will always want a piece of economic
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
Page 3 of 5 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | More Search Options