  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]Not quite. It just takes knowledge of how the interventions effect the economy.[/quote] Absolutely. What's at issue here is which knowledge is most accurate.
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]You seem to refuse to believe that the 'excessive economic power' is the direct result of state market intervention and is not some natural condition that will inevitably happen without the impartial bureaucratic watchdogs ensuring 'perfect competition'.[/quote] Ideals getting in the way of practical reality again. There are no
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]Duh![/quote] Then I resubmit my question about software development. Computers, of course, would be useless without it and there's no denying the tremendous productivity boost provided by our software-driven computer/information age. Without IP, where would the incentive be to develop software? Example: I spend 2 years developing a personal
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    A very good argument that cannot be refuted since it is non-falsifiable (unless I can transport to a parallel universe -- haven't figured that one out yet...) Your "government is for sale" is quite telling, however, in that a true free market system is incompatible with human nature or, more accurately, only partially compatible. The problem
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    [quote]Wait. I said such a thing? No, I don't believe so. What I did say is that you're using a company that benefits heavily from IP laws as an example of a monopoly. Even the example you gave (licencing) is an IP-based issue. Check Anonymous Coward's response as well.[/quote] Your argument is hinging on IP laws. Do you believe they should
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    I certainly have my issues with our current patent laws but, without any sort of patent system, we basically render things like, for example, software development as value-less, since it can so easily be reverse-engineered and copied by any hack out there. Where would the incentive be to create new software?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    I'll try to discard all ad hominem attacks and only get to the substantive argument. How do you base that it's Microsoft's IP laws that gave it its monopoly, and not the fact that they made themselves the ubiquitous standard in operating systems and mainstream office software? Please provide an example of how said IP laws kept, say, Apple
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
  • Re: Austrian Market Theory - Competition

    This is a common enigma I run into with Libertarians where ideology trumps practicality. It comes down to this bottom line: When one idea you believe in is in conflict with another idea you believe in, you have to prioritize which one will win out. I believe the number one ideology of Libertarianism is individual liberty. Those of you who argue that
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Mashuri on Wed, Oct 22 2008
Page 5 of 5 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | More Search Options