  • Re: A government as the only landlord

    I think this is a circular argument: "the difference between a management of a corporation and a government of a state is rent seeking, which by definition is only possible in state". I do not see how this clarifies anything. Also, I do not agree that hired managers of corporations cannot use the power of their position to gain personal benefits
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Andris Birkmanis on Thu, Jun 24 2010
  • Re: A government as the only landlord

    Quite a lot of corporations are run by hired ("temporary") managers, not by owners. But I think I see your point - the elected politicians of the democratic states are only managers, and not owners. This still fails to address a difference between CRUSOE Inc. and oligarchy, or Crusoe as a person and a monarchy.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Andris Birkmanis on Thu, Jun 24 2010
  • Re: A government as the only landlord

    The state is not “one individual capable of intentional action”. Let's replace an individual Crusoe with CRUSOE Inc. This corporation has exclusive rights over the island, and is operated by managers. The managers are "under the pressure of rent seelers" as well as any governement - what is the difference?
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Andris Birkmanis on Thu, Jun 24 2010
  • A government as the only landlord

    Let me be a devil's advocate for a moment: Suppose we see a government of a territory as the only (allodial) owner of all the lands of this territory (and all the other private and corporate "owners" as what they are - tenants). Given this assumption, what is the difference between the state having a monopoly on agression on the territory
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Andris Birkmanis on Thu, Jun 24 2010
  • Re: Exception to the Ricardian Law of Association?

    Also, productivity (almost) always depends on "land" and capital in addition to "labor". So even having completely equal skills and abilities, but owning different land and capital will lead to different productivity and thus to trade. Also, even in absence of land and capital factors, there is at least one benefit of specialization
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Andris Birkmanis on Tue, Jun 15 2010
  • Re: Exception to the Ricardian Law of Association?

    If we start from an already unlikely assumption (perfectly proportional skills, no non-linear effects, etc.), why not go further and assume that aggression-relevant skills of both individuals are also proportional in the same ratio? If we stretch it even further, as the first individual is more efficient in both production and aggression, it does not
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Andris Birkmanis on Tue, Jun 15 2010
  • Re: Reply to Block on "evictionism"

    Wisniewski's arguments sound pretty clear. E.R.Olovetto mentioned this uses a faulty analogy, though. I would be interested to hear him elaborating.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Andris Birkmanis on Thu, Jun 3 2010
  • Re: Libertarian children

    A CRITIQUE OF BLOCK ON ABORTION AND CHILD ABANDONMENT by JAKUB BOZYDAR WISNIEWSKI, 2010.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Andris Birkmanis on Thu, Jun 3 2010
  • Re: Libertarian children

    http://www.walterblock.com/wp-content/uploads/publications/block-children.pdf
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Andris Birkmanis on Mon, May 31 2010
  • Re: Libertarian children

    Just stumbled on an opinion by Walter Block: Stem Cell Research: The Libertarian Compromise . His idea is to apply homesteading principle to children. This basically means treating them as property, not as actors. It would be interesting to learn his opinion on when does a child become an actor with property rights to own body.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by Andris Birkmanis on Mon, May 31 2010
Page 90 of 91 (906 items) « First ... < Previous 87 88 89 90 91 Next > | More Search Options