  • Just finished reading a couple of excellent historical fiction novels

    A Conspiracy of Paper and The Coffee Trader , both by David Liss. The first novel is set in early 18th century London, and is basically a murder mystery. The second novel is set in 17th century Amsterdam and details one man's attempt to corner the coffee market. Curiously, the second tale is the more gripping. The author shows no awareness of the
    Posted to History (Forum) by cavalier973 on Wed, Aug 17 2011
  • Re: Amy Chua Is Insane

    So Chinese parents have, in regimental fashion, forced their children to perfectly play classical music pieces for generations. Which is perhaps why they weren't the ones to invent Rock 'n Roll...
    Posted to Current Events (Forum) by cavalier973 on Sun, Jan 16 2011
  • Re: What other political boards do you guys frequent

    I hit www.townhall.com quite frequently; it's a real opportunity to educate people about economics, for a couple of reasons. First, there are a few dedicated statist wingnuts that will go through every wingnut argument about why the government should regulate the economy; this gives one the opportunity to demonstrate, over and over again, why the
    Posted to General (Forum) by cavalier973 on Wed, Aug 18 2010
  • Re: Where did DiLorenzo get his figures on the % of the US tariff paid by the South?

    Here's some information on the U.S. antebellum tariff policy; there are some interesting bits of information that may be relevant to the original question: http://www.etymonline.com/cw/economics.htm
    Posted to History (Forum) by cavalier973 on Sat, Aug 14 2010
  • Anybody else ever heard of this guy

    On facebook, his book Free Trade Doesn't Work is one of the advertisements that appear. I always delete it and give "misleading" as the reason why. Ian Fletcher: http://www.usbic.net/ianfletcher/ He supposedly also has found the fatal flaws in the theory of competitive advantage. I love this quote from one of his essays: "How can
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by cavalier973 on Thu, Aug 12 2010
  • Re: Market anarchists in Victoria II

    You get bonuses of some sort when you "invent" Ludwig von Mises, as long as you have a Laissez-faire Economy and Free Trade.
    Posted to General (Forum) by cavalier973 on Wed, Aug 11 2010
  • Re: Nickel and Dimed Question

    Because, despite the irritation it causes non-interested third parties, the workers themselves have determined that they are better off without a union than they would be with a union, as do most workers in most industries. Besides, wages aren't the only form of compensation a job offers. There are such non-monetary draws as flexible scheduling
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by cavalier973 on Mon, Aug 9 2010
  • Re: The failure of Anarcho-Capitalism

    *Doomsday Machine - If I can pose a credible treat that any attack will also destroy all the exploitable wealth then no one will ever attack me (for my wealth).* Sounds like how Kansas defeated the Republic of New Mexico: http://www.webscription.net/chapters/1416520724/1416520724___4.htm
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by cavalier973 on Mon, Aug 9 2010
  • Re: Market anarchists in Victoria II

    I also prefer games that are accessible; I have a copy of "Victoria", but apparently the best way to learn how to play the game is by reading through a fan-produced website that explains the intricacies of the game. I perused the site, and came to the conclusion that the game was too much trouble to play. I would like to see games incorporate
    Posted to General (Forum) by cavalier973 on Mon, Aug 9 2010
  • Re: Oh hey there.

    No need to ask for forgiveness; I imagine a lot of people who discovered mises.org, etc. in recent years were former Bush supporters who decided to make the journey from Chicago to Austria; to dispense with the illusion of free market philosophy and embrace the real thing. I used to read national review online everyday. Now it's lewrockwell.com
    Posted to Newbies (Forum) by cavalier973 on Sun, Aug 8 2010
Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next > | More Search Options