  • Re: Just watched "Guns, Germs and Steel" on YouTube - implications to capitalism

    That's where I disagree. We couldn't even speak of "winning out" if humans had not spread out across the globe into isolated pockets. The Europeans confronting the South Americans for the first time were two completely isolated groups of humans separated by millenia of independent development. But Europeans had been going back and
    Posted to General (Forum) by William on Sun, May 15 2011
  • Re: Just watched "Guns, Germs and Steel" on YouTube - implications to capitalism

    For the record: ut if we follow the Crusoe thought-experiment consistently, then the beginning of capitalism is much, much earlier, at least 13,000 years ago when the first grain storages were built and people began to cultivate plants and animals for storage over winter. Ants and chipmunks are natural capitalists, in this sense I think I agree with
    Posted to General (Forum) by William on Sun, May 15 2011
  • Re: Just watched "Guns, Germs and Steel" on YouTube - implications to capitalism

    You seem to think there are no disciplines than the one you have an amateur interest in. To be fair, not that I care that much about apologetics for myself. a) econ is no where near one of my top hobbies b) I have a degree in biology and work in med tech c) I (like oh so many) started with a psych major d) My history hobby horse out-weighs my econ
    Posted to General (Forum) by William on Sun, May 15 2011
  • Re: Name Your Philosophy

    Indeed, I knew of it, and it more or less speaks of my general outlook I think - though I guess I never really understood as to the boundries of the term, as I think I just heard of it a few months ago, If someone called me one though, I probably wouldn't object. Though I still think I may be concerned with a different angle on things.... lol, kind
    Posted to General (Forum) by William on Sun, May 15 2011
  • Re: A perhaps blasphemous thought

    In ancient Judea, people generally spoke a language called Vulgar Koine. This just isn't true. Koine was a basic form of Greek, so it wasn't the native tounge of many in Judea. The Gospels, as far as evidence suggests were written in very basic Koine Greek (that is to say there is no compelling evidence to suggest any of them were originally
    Posted to General (Forum) by William on Sun, May 15 2011
  • Re: Just watched "Guns, Germs and Steel" on YouTube - implications to capitalism

    It's been awhile since I read him (like '99), but from what I remember I didn't buy the premise. I am not a fan of "grand narratives", and I am not sure his central question makes sense, or at least enough to warrant such grand speculating. I think the simplist and best answer is just population density, and the attraction of civilization
    Posted to General (Forum) by William on Sun, May 15 2011
  • Re: Will Huffington Post overtake New York Times?

    It would be kind of cool to see newspapers turn more "elite" due to internet competition, don't know if that is the case or even indicator right now, but a cool thought. But either way wouldn't the NYT be one of the last newspapers to close shop? How many of the top 75 Newpapers in America have closed shop? If the answer is "not
    Posted to General (Forum) by William on Sun, May 15 2011
  • Re: Understanding Marxism

    'There was even a dichotomy within Marx, Max Stirner has that affect on people trying to speak nonsense. Check out Marx ramble, stammer, and wiggle his way in nonsense and non arguments in The German Ideology to see the "break".
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by William on Sat, May 14 2011
  • Re: Philosophy Reading List - Help Please

    Oh right - the obvious just occured to me - William James on ethics, a man who shouldn't be ignored: http://www.philosophy.uncc.edu/mleldrid/American/mp&ml.htm Everything (which isn't much) I have read by James is at least a good read. Even if one disagrees with him, he is a great thinker, great writer, and from what I can gather a great
    Posted to General (Forum) by William on Sat, May 14 2011
  • Re: Philosophy Reading List - Help Please

    Plato Metaphysics / Epistomology (sans Republic): Sophist, Phaedo, Phaedrus, Paramendides, The Law - Also and I have never read actual works by him (just collections and articles) - but you may want to look into St. Thomas Aquinas, his metaphysics and ethics are an offshoot of Aristotle. Don't know how to direct you to his origianl works though
    Posted to General (Forum) by William on Sat, May 14 2011
Page 7 of 213 (2125 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | More Search Options