Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Economic Consequences of the Peace: worth reading?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
659 Posts
Points 13,990
ama gi posted on Fri, Sep 11 2009 12:32 AM

Tell me your opinion.

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable."

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 200 Contributor
Male
470 Posts
Points 7,025
Answered (Verified) Vitor replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 4:50 PM
Verified by ama gi

It seems to me that Keynes had a very "flexible mind", being able to have very different views with the passing of time. That's must explain why politicians liked him.

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
383 Posts
Points 8,775
Sukrit replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 3:44 AM

It's always worth reading stuff by major thinkers whose names are famous throughout the world. Read everything by Marx and Keynes. Then read Mises, Hayek and Rothbard as the antidote.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
478 Posts
Points 9,180

Why would you read it?

A guy named Etienne Mantoux destroyed Keynes' thesis in his brilliantly named book The Economic Consequences of Mr. Keynes.

Austrians do it a priori

Irish Liberty Forum 

Top 150 Contributor
659 Posts
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 3:18 PM

According to Wikipedia, The Economic Consequences of the Peace opposes monetary inflation and price controls, things that we Austros would also disagree with.  So why does Keynes get such a bad rap, anyway????

"As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable."

Top 150 Contributor
Male
573 Posts
Points 9,410

ama gi:

According to Wikipedia, The Economic Consequences of the Peace opposes monetary inflation and price controls, things that we Austros would also disagree with.  So why does Keynes get such a bad rap, anyway????

Because ECP was overshadowed by the General Theory.

============================

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

ama gi:

It is worth reading.  It was suggested by Robert Higgs during Cato University 2009.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
659 Posts
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 4:41 PM

David Z:

ama gi:

care to explain that statement?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
470 Posts
Points 7,025
Answered (Verified) Vitor replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 4:50 PM
Verified by ama gi

It seems to me that Keynes had a very "flexible mind", being able to have very different views with the passing of time. That's must explain why politicians liked him.

Top 150 Contributor
659 Posts
Points 13,990
ama gi replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 9:30 PM

LOL, two thumbs up!

"If you put two economists in a room, you get two opinions, unless one of them is Lord Keynes, in which case you get three opinions." ~Winston Churchill

Top 150 Contributor
Male
573 Posts
Points 9,410

ama gi:

David Z:

ama gi:

care to explain that statement?

What's there to explain? ECP is not nearly as well-known, or as influential a volume as Keynes' General Theory.

The advice contained therein was not followed anywhere near the extent to which the policies outlined in General Theory have been implemented.  If it had been, Europe might well have avoided WWII.

I'm not suggesting that ECP is without merit, I haven't read it (actually it's on my "to read" list) but heard lecture about it several years ago.  From what I understand it seems like a book worth reading especially if you're interested in economic history.

============================

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

Top 200 Contributor
457 Posts
Points 14,505

Sukrit Sabhlok:

It's always worth reading stuff by major thinkers whose names are famous throughout the world. Read everything by Marx and Keynes. Then read Mises, Hayek and Rothbard as the antidote.

I would totally agree with this here.  You need to understand the other side before you start reading the works from this side.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS